Blog: Liquid Smoking at IFE
Olly Wehring | 24 March 2009
Glancing around last week's IFE show in London, just-drinks' gaze was drawn by a new drinks start-up that is producing an intriguing beverage by the name of 'Liquid Smoking'.
Admittedly, this sounds about as appetizing as a mouthful of cigarette ash, but we thought it was worth closer inspection.
Dan Koziol, sales manager for Mr Martin's Liquid Smoking (to use the full name), told just-drinks that the drink is designed to give the "high of a cigarette, but without the nicotine". The cans carry a similar design to a cigarette packet.
Unlike an energy drink, Koziol says that Liquid Smoking is designed to have a relaxing effect. It is made and sold in the Netherlands, but is not currently available in the UK.
After a somewhat suspicious sniff of the samples on offer, just-drinks dived in for a taste. Liquorice dominates and, we have to admit, that the overrall taste is better than you'd perhaps expect.
So, what's in it? Koziol says that the drink is based on an African herbal remedy. A closer look at the can reveals only that the drink contains an unspecified "natural herbal extract", alongside more usual ingredients, including sucralose, citric acid and carbonated water.
On showing a sample to my friend, his first reaction to this was: "Mate, is this legal?". It is legal, says the company, but the jury is out on how successul this can be in today's competitive drinks market. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If anyone was expecting an underwhelming and downbeat atmosphere at last week's IFE food and drink show, they would have been pleasantly surprised. Among the soft drinks exhibitors at least, Annette F...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends