Blog: Liquid Smoking at IFE
Olly Wehring | 24 March 2009
Glancing around last week's IFE show in London, just-drinks' gaze was drawn by a new drinks start-up that is producing an intriguing beverage by the name of 'Liquid Smoking'.
Admittedly, this sounds about as appetizing as a mouthful of cigarette ash, but we thought it was worth closer inspection.
Dan Koziol, sales manager for Mr Martin's Liquid Smoking (to use the full name), told just-drinks that the drink is designed to give the "high of a cigarette, but without the nicotine". The cans carry a similar design to a cigarette packet.
Unlike an energy drink, Koziol says that Liquid Smoking is designed to have a relaxing effect. It is made and sold in the Netherlands, but is not currently available in the UK.
After a somewhat suspicious sniff of the samples on offer, just-drinks dived in for a taste. Liquorice dominates and, we have to admit, that the overrall taste is better than you'd perhaps expect.
So, what's in it? Koziol says that the drink is based on an African herbal remedy. A closer look at the can reveals only that the drink contains an unspecified "natural herbal extract", alongside more usual ingredients, including sucralose, citric acid and carbonated water.
On showing a sample to my friend, his first reaction to this was: "Mate, is this legal?". It is legal, says the company, but the jury is out on how successul this can be in today's competitive drinks market. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If anyone was expecting an underwhelming and downbeat atmosphere at last week's IFE food and drink show, they would have been pleasantly surprised. Among the soft drinks exhibitors at least, Annette F...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends