Blog: Liquid Smoking at IFE
Olly Wehring | 24 March 2009
Glancing around last week's IFE show in London, just-drinks' gaze was drawn by a new drinks start-up that is producing an intriguing beverage by the name of 'Liquid Smoking'.
Admittedly, this sounds about as appetizing as a mouthful of cigarette ash, but we thought it was worth closer inspection.
Dan Koziol, sales manager for Mr Martin's Liquid Smoking (to use the full name), told just-drinks that the drink is designed to give the "high of a cigarette, but without the nicotine". The cans carry a similar design to a cigarette packet.
Unlike an energy drink, Koziol says that Liquid Smoking is designed to have a relaxing effect. It is made and sold in the Netherlands, but is not currently available in the UK.
After a somewhat suspicious sniff of the samples on offer, just-drinks dived in for a taste. Liquorice dominates and, we have to admit, that the overrall taste is better than you'd perhaps expect.
So, what's in it? Koziol says that the drink is based on an African herbal remedy. A closer look at the can reveals only that the drink contains an unspecified "natural herbal extract", alongside more usual ingredients, including sucralose, citric acid and carbonated water.
On showing a sample to my friend, his first reaction to this was: "Mate, is this legal?". It is legal, says the company, but the jury is out on how successul this can be in today's competitive drinks market. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If anyone was expecting an underwhelming and downbeat atmosphere at last week's IFE food and drink show, they would have been pleasantly surprised. Among the soft drinks exhibitors at least, Annette F...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends