Blog: Liquid inspiration?
Chris Brook-Carter | 29 April 2004
As London flooded on Wednesday afternoon and early evening, I was in the safe and dry confines of the Mermaid Theatre in Blackfriars at the inaugural Marketing Society beverage conference, Liquid Inspiration.
My immediate reaction when first reading about the event was surprise that it had not happened before. And, given the turn-up on the day, there were a number of others who felt such a forum to debate issues, from innovation to trends in packaging and advertising, was long overdue.
There were a few criticisms that some of the content of the speeches was a little lightweight – but then these things are always tamer than you hope for. After all Diageo’s marketing chief is hardly likely to stand up in front of his competitors and hand over the company’s secrets.
That aside, the quality of the speakers was unusually high, with the definite highlight being a seemingly unscripted half-hour monologue from Sergio Zyman, the charismatic, one-time boss of Coca-Cola marketing, who now heads up his own marketing consultancy.
The subject matter, too, was varied and interesting, covering everything from premiumisation to innovation versus renovation, as well as insights into the behaviour of tomorrow’s consumers.
However, if I did have a criticism it was that, with the industry’s marketing minds in front of it, the conference failed to address two of the most important issues drinks marketers face today, alcohol harm policy and the problems of obesity.
It does seem odd that these two subjects were avoided, and it wasn’t clear why, but one hopes it wasn’t through a lack of determination to meet these difficult but important issues head on.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Winners & losers of AB InBev's SABMiller takeover
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- How big is MegaBrew? ABI/SAB market share, brands
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report