Blog: Lessons from the past in PepsiCo heir-apparent talk
Andy Morton | 31 March 2016
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor. According to some, Al Carey's promotion from CEO of PepsiCo's North America Beverages division to overall North America head has made him favourite for the big chair.
It's a good time, then, to remember what happened to Nooyi's last supposed heir-apparent.
John Compton, a 30-year lifer with PepsiCo, was made president in March 2012 and was seen as Nooyi's natural successor. Less than eight months later, however, Compton had left to head up a truck stop operator in Tennessee in the one of the more blatant examples of “heir today, gone tomorrow” the category has seen.
Furthermore, Nooyi was under a lot of pressure at the time, as PepsiCo fell behind Coca-Cola in the US market. The company is still facing challenges, but appears far more robust today, with a share price 63% higher than when Compton became president.
Nooyi will celebrate a decade at PepsiCo's helm this October. She may not be ready to stand aside just yet.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits