Blog: Lessons from the past in PepsiCo heir-apparent talk
Andy Morton | 31 March 2016
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor. According to some, Al Carey's promotion from CEO of PepsiCo's North America Beverages division to overall North America head has made him favourite for the big chair.
It's a good time, then, to remember what happened to Nooyi's last supposed heir-apparent.
John Compton, a 30-year lifer with PepsiCo, was made president in March 2012 and was seen as Nooyi's natural successor. Less than eight months later, however, Compton had left to head up a truck stop operator in Tennessee in the one of the more blatant examples of “heir today, gone tomorrow” the category has seen.
Furthermore, Nooyi was under a lot of pressure at the time, as PepsiCo fell behind Coca-Cola in the US market. The company is still facing challenges, but appears far more robust today, with a share price 63% higher than when Compton became president.
Nooyi will celebrate a decade at PepsiCo's helm this October. She may not be ready to stand aside just yet.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends