Blog: Lessons from the past in PepsiCo heir-apparent talk
Andy Morton | 31 March 2016
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor. According to some, Al Carey's promotion from CEO of PepsiCo's North America Beverages division to overall North America head has made him favourite for the big chair.
It's a good time, then, to remember what happened to Nooyi's last supposed heir-apparent.
John Compton, a 30-year lifer with PepsiCo, was made president in March 2012 and was seen as Nooyi's natural successor. Less than eight months later, however, Compton had left to head up a truck stop operator in Tennessee in the one of the more blatant examples of “heir today, gone tomorrow” the category has seen.
Furthermore, Nooyi was under a lot of pressure at the time, as PepsiCo fell behind Coca-Cola in the US market. The company is still facing challenges, but appears far more robust today, with a share price 63% higher than when Compton became president.
Nooyi will celebrate a decade at PepsiCo's helm this October. She may not be ready to stand aside just yet.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends