Blog: Lawnmower tops the sound of summer
Olly Wehring | 29 July 2008
The gentle hum of a distant lawnmower has been voted the UK’s favourite summer sound, according to new research released today (29 July).
The seasonal noise, which reverberates around the nation's gardens every summer, is likely to strike fear into the heart of many a hayfever sufferer, but nevertheless it pushed the sound of pub garden chatter into second place.
Personally I prefer the sound of crashing waves as I close my eyes whilst lying on a sunny beach.
This made number three in the survey of 2,500 Britons commissioned by Diageo's summer drinks brand, Pimm’s.
Okay, many of you at this point are probably wondering where the sound of a cold beer glugging into a glass came. Well fear not. The sound of drinks being poured over ice arrived in at number six. Not too short of the sound of pigeons cawing (No, me neither).
According to the survey, 76% of Brits feel uplifted by their favourite sound of summer - an antidote to the current unpredictable weather.
How fitting then that the sound of rain should rear it’s ugly head at number ten.
I think the real question should be: What sounds of the summer do we fondly remember from times past?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits