Blog: Lawnmower tops the sound of summer
Olly Wehring | 29 July 2008
The gentle hum of a distant lawnmower has been voted the UK’s favourite summer sound, according to new research released today (29 July).
The seasonal noise, which reverberates around the nation's gardens every summer, is likely to strike fear into the heart of many a hayfever sufferer, but nevertheless it pushed the sound of pub garden chatter into second place.
Personally I prefer the sound of crashing waves as I close my eyes whilst lying on a sunny beach.
This made number three in the survey of 2,500 Britons commissioned by Diageo's summer drinks brand, Pimm’s.
Okay, many of you at this point are probably wondering where the sound of a cold beer glugging into a glass came. Well fear not. The sound of drinks being poured over ice arrived in at number six. Not too short of the sound of pigeons cawing (No, me neither).
According to the survey, 76% of Brits feel uplifted by their favourite sound of summer - an antidote to the current unpredictable weather.
How fitting then that the sound of rain should rear it’s ugly head at number ten.
I think the real question should be: What sounds of the summer do we fondly remember from times past?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research