Blog: Lawnmower tops the sound of summer
Olly Wehring | 29 July 2008
The gentle hum of a distant lawnmower has been voted the UK’s favourite summer sound, according to new research released today (29 July).
The seasonal noise, which reverberates around the nation's gardens every summer, is likely to strike fear into the heart of many a hayfever sufferer, but nevertheless it pushed the sound of pub garden chatter into second place.
Personally I prefer the sound of crashing waves as I close my eyes whilst lying on a sunny beach.
This made number three in the survey of 2,500 Britons commissioned by Diageo's summer drinks brand, Pimm’s.
Okay, many of you at this point are probably wondering where the sound of a cold beer glugging into a glass came. Well fear not. The sound of drinks being poured over ice arrived in at number six. Not too short of the sound of pigeons cawing (No, me neither).
According to the survey, 76% of Brits feel uplifted by their favourite sound of summer - an antidote to the current unpredictable weather.
How fitting then that the sound of rain should rear it’s ugly head at number ten.
I think the real question should be: What sounds of the summer do we fondly remember from times past?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends