Blog: Kim Jong-il's taste for... Perrier Water
Chris Mercer | 19 August 2010
Imagine that you are the undisputed head of a dictatorship, complete with nuclear warhead arsenal and with the ability to spend a fifth of your country's income on whatever you so choose.
That's what Kim Jong-il has to contend with every day, and do you know what gets him through? But, of course, it's Perrier Water.
Apparently Nestle's sparkling water brand is just one of life's little luxuries that the Dear Leader cannot do without. Another is Pernod Ricard's Martell Cognac, according to a defector from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
Kim Jong-il's taste for Perrier is almost as surprising as news that the coach of the country's football team has been "given a second chance [at life??]" following World Cup disappointment.
I wonder if he's ordered any of those bottles with Dita Von Teese on them...
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts