Blog: just-drinks meets Mika Hakkinen
Olly Wehring | 22 October 2009
Yes, the same Mika Hakkinen that drives Formula One cars very fast.
just-drinks took time out at TFWA in Cannes yesterday (21 October) to quiz him about his role as a responsible drinking ambassador for Diageo.
Hakkinen rocked up at the Diageo stand in the afternoon and, after politely signing autographs for most people in the vicinity, sat down for a question and answer session with journalists.
The former Formula One World Champion is leading Diageo's global "Join the Pact" campaign to stamp out drink driving. Hakkinen has been taking the message to countries hosting Formula One Grand Prix races this year, from Asia to Latin America. He and Diageo representatives have met with both fans and Government officials.
"Diageo is spending a lot of money on this campaign. It is a huge effort and a lot of people are working on it," said Hakkinen, who first became involved in Diageo's anti-drink driving campaigns in 2006, via the drinks company's sponsorship of Formula One team McLaren Mercedes.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research