Blog: just-drinks meets Mika Hakkinen
Olly Wehring | 22 October 2009
Yes, the same Mika Hakkinen that drives Formula One cars very fast.
just-drinks took time out at TFWA in Cannes yesterday (21 October) to quiz him about his role as a responsible drinking ambassador for Diageo.
Hakkinen rocked up at the Diageo stand in the afternoon and, after politely signing autographs for most people in the vicinity, sat down for a question and answer session with journalists.
The former Formula One World Champion is leading Diageo's global "Join the Pact" campaign to stamp out drink driving. Hakkinen has been taking the message to countries hosting Formula One Grand Prix races this year, from Asia to Latin America. He and Diageo representatives have met with both fans and Government officials.
"Diageo is spending a lot of money on this campaign. It is a huge effort and a lot of people are working on it," said Hakkinen, who first became involved in Diageo's anti-drink driving campaigns in 2006, via the drinks company's sponsorship of Formula One team McLaren Mercedes.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020