Blog: just-drinks in India, take two
Olly Wehring | 28 November 2008
Another week, another trip to India. just-drinks has just returned from a three-day jaunt to Delhi and Jaipur, courtesy of SABMiller.
Given the events in Mumbai on Wednesday night, it was not the best time to be a westerner staying in India's poshest hotels. The attacks on Mumbai, which as I write have claimed a reported 130 lives and left more than 300 injured, make the world of drinks journalism seem relatively trivial.
On a business level, of course, talk has centred on whether the attacks can harm investor confidence in the country. The Bombai Stock Exchange was closed yesterday (27 November) but held up well upon re-opening today (28 November).
This week's trip was a bit of a whirlwind tour, taking in Delhi, Jaipur, rural areas of Rajasthan and also an 'ethnic village' theme park, which included elephants, camels, traditional bread making and screeching puppet shows.
Much of India appears to be synonymous with organised chaos. Things seem to work, though it is not often obvious to the foreign eye as to how.
Beer drinking is on the rise but remains a minority sport in the country. Bars are minimal, and vary from low-end types, such as the gloomily lit yet brilliantly named 'Yes Boss' bar in Jaipur, to the swanky, disco light experience that is 'F Bar' in Delhi.
Beer is also pricey for the masses. A day's work on the minimum wage in Rajasthan would hand you INR100 (US$2), still not enough to buy one bottle of standard beer.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research