Blog: just-drinks gets to grips with data
Chris Mercer | 16 June 2011
I spent yesterday on a data journalism course in the hope of picking up some tips on making data more accessible to you and presenting it more imaginatively.
Data journalism (you mean counting? - j-drinks Ed) is evolving as an essential skill as us hacks are increasingly faced with tables of statistics, many of which appear to contradict each other. It's also important that we can present that data to you - the readers - in an interesting and useful way.
Thanks to the Oracle also known as Kevin Anderson, I've picked up a few handy tips and tools for improving the way that we handle and present data, including this timeline on the Foster's demerger. We'll be playing around with these over the next few weeks.
As one example (albeit a rather pithy one), below is a word cloud that I've created from Diageo's half-year results conference back in February. The most used words are the bigger ones.
Interesting to see "emerging" "markets" and "growth" coming out on top. Is Diageo trying to tell us something? I note that the word Greece, by contrast, is tiny.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Kirin lines up cans for Little Creatures beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends