Blog: just-drinks gets to grips with data
Chris Mercer | 16 June 2011
I spent yesterday on a data journalism course in the hope of picking up some tips on making data more accessible to you and presenting it more imaginatively.
Data journalism (you mean counting? - j-drinks Ed) is evolving as an essential skill as us hacks are increasingly faced with tables of statistics, many of which appear to contradict each other. It's also important that we can present that data to you - the readers - in an interesting and useful way.
Thanks to the Oracle also known as Kevin Anderson, I've picked up a few handy tips and tools for improving the way that we handle and present data, including this timeline on the Foster's demerger. We'll be playing around with these over the next few weeks.
As one example (albeit a rather pithy one), below is a word cloud that I've created from Diageo's half-year results conference back in February. The most used words are the bigger ones.
Interesting to see "emerging" "markets" and "growth" coming out on top. Is Diageo trying to tell us something? I note that the word Greece, by contrast, is tiny.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends