Blog: just-drinks gets to grips with data
Chris Mercer | 16 June 2011
I spent yesterday on a data journalism course in the hope of picking up some tips on making data more accessible to you and presenting it more imaginatively.
Data journalism (you mean counting? - j-drinks Ed) is evolving as an essential skill as us hacks are increasingly faced with tables of statistics, many of which appear to contradict each other. It's also important that we can present that data to you - the readers - in an interesting and useful way.
Thanks to the Oracle also known as Kevin Anderson, I've picked up a few handy tips and tools for improving the way that we handle and present data, including this timeline on the Foster's demerger. We'll be playing around with these over the next few weeks.
As one example (albeit a rather pithy one), below is a word cloud that I've created from Diageo's half-year results conference back in February. The most used words are the bigger ones.
Interesting to see "emerging" "markets" and "growth" coming out on top. Is Diageo trying to tell us something? I note that the word Greece, by contrast, is tiny.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research