Blog: just-drinks coming to you LIVE from Pro-Wein 2008
Olly Wehring | 17 March 2008
Greetings from Germany, where we’re traipsing the halls of this year’s ProWein trade fair in Dusseldorf. This three-day event started yesterday, and I’m here until close of play today.
Whilst it’s easy to draw comparisons with the London International Wine & Spirit Fair – bigger, more walking, stacks more German and Austrian winemakers – I hear that both of these events – offering differing geographical focus, at least - are worth exhibiting at. And no, that doesn’t come from the event organisers.
One point that I can’t believe I’m making, is how good it was to have the first day fall on a Sunday. Although Heathrow was not a pretty site at 0600 yesterday morning, the atmosphere once we got into the halls – there are five of them – was relaxed and informal. Very different to today, where it’s all work, work, work, but a very pleasant way of gaining one’s bearings.
The spirits hall is also well-attended, which sets a standard in my mind for the Distil spirits exhibition in London in May. The splitting of the wine and spirit sides in London is going well, I hear, with the area given over to spirits at ExCel last year set to be filled with wine companies. Distil, meanwhile - which runs concurrently to LIWSF – has secured the presence of Diageo, among others.
Granted, ProWein is slightly Germany and Austria-heavy, when it comes to winemakers, but the healthy presence of the rest of the wine world, as well as the attendance of wine trade organisation representatives I’ve not met before, have made this trip to the fatherland more than worthwhile.
LIWSF? Distil? The bar has been set.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends