Blog: Japanese net closing on Australia
Chris Mercer | 27 August 2010
Japan's drinks giants are feasting on Australia's drinks sector. Could Foster's be next on the menu?
Asahi's deal to acquire P&N Beverages propels the firm into a strong second place on Australia's soft drinks market - as discussed by us on just-drinks yesterday.
Its move underlines that Japan's trio of Kirin, Suntory and Asahi view Australia as a key part of their growth strategy. Kirin owns Lion Nathan and National Foods, having since merged these two business together, while Suntory has bought the Frucor soft drinks business.
Foster's Group is one of few remaining fruits on the tree. It's hard to argue against a Japanese buyer of Foster's beer division going on the evidence of the past 18 months.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Coca-Cola Amatil names new CFO
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly