Blog: Japanese net closing on Australia
Chris Mercer | 27 August 2010
Japan's drinks giants are feasting on Australia's drinks sector. Could Foster's be next on the menu?
Asahi's deal to acquire P&N Beverages propels the firm into a strong second place on Australia's soft drinks market - as discussed by us on just-drinks yesterday.
Its move underlines that Japan's trio of Kirin, Suntory and Asahi view Australia as a key part of their growth strategy. Kirin owns Lion Nathan and National Foods, having since merged these two business together, while Suntory has bought the Frucor soft drinks business.
Foster's Group is one of few remaining fruits on the tree. It's hard to argue against a Japanese buyer of Foster's beer division going on the evidence of the past 18 months.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers has stepped up a notch after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water” this week....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review