Blog: Japanese net closing on Australia
Chris Mercer | 27 August 2010
Japan's drinks giants are feasting on Australia's drinks sector. Could Foster's be next on the menu?
Asahi's deal to acquire P&N Beverages propels the firm into a strong second place on Australia's soft drinks market - as discussed by us on just-drinks yesterday.
Its move underlines that Japan's trio of Kirin, Suntory and Asahi view Australia as a key part of their growth strategy. Kirin owns Lion Nathan and National Foods, having since merged these two business together, while Suntory has bought the Frucor soft drinks business.
Foster's Group is one of few remaining fruits on the tree. It's hard to argue against a Japanese buyer of Foster's beer division going on the evidence of the past 18 months.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends