Blog: Jaegermeister shot culture in Portman Group firing line?
James Wilmore | 27 October 2014
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters.
Whether it likes it or not - and recent sales suggest it just might - the company's namesake flagship liqueur brand, Jägermeister, is commonly drunk as a shot. The Portman Group's code of practice, however, warns companies that a drink's packaging “should not urge the consumer to drink rapidly or to ‘down’ a product in one”.
It is unlikely that Portman may allow an exception to its rules, so can we expect a toning down of Jaegermeister's marketing message in the UK going forward?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Canadian craft brewer Unibroue has partnered the lead singer of Megadeth to release a beer. ...
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
Puerto Rican rum company Destileria Serralles has launched two aged rums in the UK....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends