Blog: It's the weather's fault, not mine
Olly Wehring | 17 July 2009
Hearty thanks to Coca Cola GB for a marvellous day at Lord's yesterday, to enjoy day one of the second test of the Ashes. Whilst not exactly baking in the London heat, we certainly benefited from an uninterrupted day's play as the rain stayed at home.
Whilst talking to a couple of chaps from Coca Cola about the weather (a British obsession, remember), I voiced the opinion, held by some, that, when drinks companies use bad weather as a reason for a poor set of results, then those companies were just being lazy.
“When the figures are good,” one of them joked, “marketing departments are happy to take as much credit as they can get. When the figures are bad, it's the weather's fault.”
I had to chuckle, and not take personally, the same individual's jest about communications. “When the press coverage is good, the communications teams are doing a good job. When the coverage is bad, the journalist wasn't listening properly!”
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits