Blog: It's the end of the world as we know it...
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2008
Panic! The end is nigh! The last few days have thrust grim-faced economic journalists and experts onto the tv screens as we attempt to make sense of the financial market mess.
An extraordinary week in the financial sector, possibly the worst since the 1929 Wall Street Crash, has gripped everyone from CEOs to people who more habitually use business pages in newspapers as extra floor lining. I'm giving you CEOs the benefit of the doubt there.
Suddenly, most people I know are talking solemnly about share prices as though they've followed the FTSE 100 knowledgeably for years, instead of rising to make a cup of tea every time it appears on the news.
In the exhilerated rush of it all, it would be easy to lose our heads.
Congress' rejection of the $700bn bailout package to get more capital to banks was certainly a blow, but FTSE's rise this morning reflected hope that a deal can yet be reached.
With or without a deal, it does look increasingly likely from the latest GDP figures that many western economies will fall into full-blown recession before the end of the year.
This will inevitably hit consumer confidence. But it is important to maintain perspective and purpose. Drinks firms and the sector as a whole need to focus on practical issues, such as product positioning and new initiatives to retain customers, while keeping a firm eye on consumer buying trends.
just-drinks will do its best to make sure you have access to all the latest information. And, if there's something we're not doing that you would find helpful, drop us a line.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research