Blog: It's St George's Day - St Who?
Olly Wehring | 24 April 2007
Not that many people noticed, but yesterday (23 April) was St George’s Day. As the patron saint of my environ, I’d have expected the streets of London to be running with red and white (face paint, I mean) last night, with pubs packed to the gunnels with revellers.
After all, St Patrick’s Day last month saw the world and his dog don green livery, a Guinness hat and a shaky Oirish accent in every nook and cranny of London. Granted, it was a Saturday, but St Patrick’s Day has still become the stuff of alcohol-related legend in the UK in recent years.
The veritable sound of crickets in central London last night suggests to me, however, that someone, somewhere in the drinks industry is missing a trick.
And where was I heading last night? Why, to Wells & Young’s hugely enjoyable Bombardier St George’s party in Covent Garden, where it felt like every St George-related drinker had congregated.
And somehow, I doubt they’ll be using this photo - featuring your’s truly (after his first pint, I assure you) with The Publican’s Adam Withrington - on any of their promotional work going forward.
A shame, if you ask me.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- Wines of the Beautiful South Ups its Game
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk