Blog: It's St George's Day - St Who?
Olly Wehring | 24 April 2007
Not that many people noticed, but yesterday (23 April) was St George’s Day. As the patron saint of my environ, I’d have expected the streets of London to be running with red and white (face paint, I mean) last night, with pubs packed to the gunnels with revellers.
After all, St Patrick’s Day last month saw the world and his dog don green livery, a Guinness hat and a shaky Oirish accent in every nook and cranny of London. Granted, it was a Saturday, but St Patrick’s Day has still become the stuff of alcohol-related legend in the UK in recent years.
The veritable sound of crickets in central London last night suggests to me, however, that someone, somewhere in the drinks industry is missing a trick.
And where was I heading last night? Why, to Wells & Young’s hugely enjoyable Bombardier St George’s party in Covent Garden, where it felt like every St George-related drinker had congregated.
And somehow, I doubt they’ll be using this photo - featuring your’s truly (after his first pint, I assure you) with The Publican’s Adam Withrington - on any of their promotional work going forward.
A shame, if you ask me.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018