Blog: It's St George's Day - St Who?
Olly Wehring | 24 April 2007
Not that many people noticed, but yesterday (23 April) was St George’s Day. As the patron saint of my environ, I’d have expected the streets of London to be running with red and white (face paint, I mean) last night, with pubs packed to the gunnels with revellers.
After all, St Patrick’s Day last month saw the world and his dog don green livery, a Guinness hat and a shaky Oirish accent in every nook and cranny of London. Granted, it was a Saturday, but St Patrick’s Day has still become the stuff of alcohol-related legend in the UK in recent years.
The veritable sound of crickets in central London last night suggests to me, however, that someone, somewhere in the drinks industry is missing a trick.
And where was I heading last night? Why, to Wells & Young’s hugely enjoyable Bombardier St George’s party in Covent Garden, where it felt like every St George-related drinker had congregated.
And somehow, I doubt they’ll be using this photo - featuring your’s truly (after his first pint, I assure you) with The Publican’s Adam Withrington - on any of their promotional work going forward.
A shame, if you ask me.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends