Blog: It's St George's Day - St Who?
Olly Wehring | 24 April 2007
Not that many people noticed, but yesterday (23 April) was St George’s Day. As the patron saint of my environ, I’d have expected the streets of London to be running with red and white (face paint, I mean) last night, with pubs packed to the gunnels with revellers.
After all, St Patrick’s Day last month saw the world and his dog don green livery, a Guinness hat and a shaky Oirish accent in every nook and cranny of London. Granted, it was a Saturday, but St Patrick’s Day has still become the stuff of alcohol-related legend in the UK in recent years.
The veritable sound of crickets in central London last night suggests to me, however, that someone, somewhere in the drinks industry is missing a trick.
And where was I heading last night? Why, to Wells & Young’s hugely enjoyable Bombardier St George’s party in Covent Garden, where it felt like every St George-related drinker had congregated.
And somehow, I doubt they’ll be using this photo - featuring your’s truly (after his first pint, I assure you) with The Publican’s Adam Withrington - on any of their promotional work going forward.
A shame, if you ask me.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends