Blog: It's St George's Day - St Who?
Olly Wehring | 24 April 2007
Not that many people noticed, but yesterday (23 April) was St George’s Day. As the patron saint of my environ, I’d have expected the streets of London to be running with red and white (face paint, I mean) last night, with pubs packed to the gunnels with revellers.
After all, St Patrick’s Day last month saw the world and his dog don green livery, a Guinness hat and a shaky Oirish accent in every nook and cranny of London. Granted, it was a Saturday, but St Patrick’s Day has still become the stuff of alcohol-related legend in the UK in recent years.
The veritable sound of crickets in central London last night suggests to me, however, that someone, somewhere in the drinks industry is missing a trick.
And where was I heading last night? Why, to Wells & Young’s hugely enjoyable Bombardier St George’s party in Covent Garden, where it felt like every St George-related drinker had congregated.
And somehow, I doubt they’ll be using this photo - featuring your’s truly (after his first pint, I assure you) with The Publican’s Adam Withrington - on any of their promotional work going forward.
A shame, if you ask me.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research