Blog: Its life, but not as they know it.
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 May 2004
The near-impossible has apparently happened. The French wine industry has at last recognised that there is life outside its own borders – though not too far outside, of course.
A news report I saw at the end of the week said that, according to France's most distinguished wine publication, La Revue du Vin de France, some 20% of the world’s top winemakers are Italian.
The magazine's listing of its top 100 vintners of the year contained 19 from Italy, including eight from Tuscany and five from Piedmont. The remainder came from Umbria, Sicily, Veneto, Campania, Friuli Venezia Giulia and Lombardy.
Not having seen the list myself, I can't comment on how many were Australian, Californian or from New Zealand, but the sceptic in me is thinking that it's not very many.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends