Blog: It's Brew-Tang Forever as producers get creative
Andy Morton | 5 June 2015
I've just got back from New York, where the owner of a successful string of Manhattan bars showed me one of his latest best-sellers.
It was Jefferson's Ocean, a small-batch Bourbon aged in the hold of a ship that is continually circumnavigating the world. There's a thin veneer of logic to this, as apparently casked spirits age faster if in motion. But, more importantly, as the bar owner told me: Tell the customer this back story and they immediately want to try it.
“Never fails,” he said.
I've got high hopes, then, for on-trade sales of a new beer from Philadelphia’s Dock Street brewery that is aged to the music of hip hop legends the Wu-Tang Clan. According to Time magazine, a smartphone loaded up with the greatest hits of Method Man, ODB and the rest of the gang is attached to the barrel and left to work its magic.
The brew will be called 'Dock Street Beer Ain’t Nuthin’ to Funk With' and is expected to be ready by the end of this year, Time said.
They could well be on to a winner. Especially if they stick the barrel on a boat and sail it around the world a couple of times.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
William Grant & Sons has reported rising full-year sales and profits as it continues to move away from distributing third-party brands....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Pernod Ricard's US unit has announced the latest permanent addition to its Kahlua portfolio. Chili Chocolate is said to blend rich chocolate with hot chili. ...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends