Blog: It's Brew-Tang Forever as producers get creative
Andy Morton | 5 June 2015
I've just got back from New York, where the owner of a successful string of Manhattan bars showed me one of his latest best-sellers.
It was Jefferson's Ocean, a small-batch Bourbon aged in the hold of a ship that is continually circumnavigating the world. There's a thin veneer of logic to this, as apparently casked spirits age faster if in motion. But, more importantly, as the bar owner told me: Tell the customer this back story and they immediately want to try it.
“Never fails,” he said.
I've got high hopes, then, for on-trade sales of a new beer from Philadelphia’s Dock Street brewery that is aged to the music of hip hop legends the Wu-Tang Clan. According to Time magazine, a smartphone loaded up with the greatest hits of Method Man, ODB and the rest of the gang is attached to the barrel and left to work its magic.
The brew will be called 'Dock Street Beer Ain’t Nuthin’ to Funk With' and is expected to be ready by the end of this year, Time said.
They could well be on to a winner. Especially if they stick the barrel on a boat and sail it around the world a couple of times.
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with Bulldog Gin Co's founder & CEO, Anshuman Vohra, we looked at the birth and rise of the brand. In part two, Vohra considers the wider gin segment, Bulld...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Beam Suntory to invest US$1bn in Bourbon
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends