Blog: It's Brew-Tang Forever as producers get creative
Andy Morton | 5 June 2015
I've just got back from New York, where the owner of a successful string of Manhattan bars showed me one of his latest best-sellers.
It was Jefferson's Ocean, a small-batch Bourbon aged in the hold of a ship that is continually circumnavigating the world. There's a thin veneer of logic to this, as apparently casked spirits age faster if in motion. But, more importantly, as the bar owner told me: Tell the customer this back story and they immediately want to try it.
“Never fails,” he said.
I've got high hopes, then, for on-trade sales of a new beer from Philadelphia’s Dock Street brewery that is aged to the music of hip hop legends the Wu-Tang Clan. According to Time magazine, a smartphone loaded up with the greatest hits of Method Man, ODB and the rest of the gang is attached to the barrel and left to work its magic.
The brew will be called 'Dock Street Beer Ain’t Nuthin’ to Funk With' and is expected to be ready by the end of this year, Time said.
They could well be on to a winner. Especially if they stick the barrel on a boat and sail it around the world a couple of times.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Heineken has unveiled new aluminium bottles that turn black under black light....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts