Blog: It's Brew-Tang Forever as producers get creative
Andy Morton | 5 June 2015
I've just got back from New York, where the owner of a successful string of Manhattan bars showed me one of his latest best-sellers.
It was Jefferson's Ocean, a small-batch Bourbon aged in the hold of a ship that is continually circumnavigating the world. There's a thin veneer of logic to this, as apparently casked spirits age faster if in motion. But, more importantly, as the bar owner told me: Tell the customer this back story and they immediately want to try it.
“Never fails,” he said.
I've got high hopes, then, for on-trade sales of a new beer from Philadelphia’s Dock Street brewery that is aged to the music of hip hop legends the Wu-Tang Clan. According to Time magazine, a smartphone loaded up with the greatest hits of Method Man, ODB and the rest of the gang is attached to the barrel and left to work its magic.
The brew will be called 'Dock Street Beer Ain’t Nuthin’ to Funk With' and is expected to be ready by the end of this year, Time said.
They could well be on to a winner. Especially if they stick the barrel on a boat and sail it around the world a couple of times.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World