Blog: It's Aspall cider, but not as you know it
Chris Mercer | 27 November 2009
Our deputy editor Chris Mercer has just returned from a night at Aspall Cyder, where he discovered an intriguing new twist on the apple-based drink.
just-drinks "doesn't do" product recommendations as a general rule (goodness, we'd be snowed under). But, if we did, then a new concoction provisionally named Cuvee Chevallier would be high on the list.
The guys down at Aspall, after "messing around" in the cellars, have come up with what can best be described as Champagne cider - or rather, Champagne-style cider.
Cuvee Chevallier is double fermented, comes in Champagne-style bottles, and - at a glance - looks like a sparkling wine.
On the nose and in the taste it is clearly not a wine, but it is a very good product and an interesting twist on the cider theme.
Cuvee Chevallier, at an abv of 11.5% and priced at around US$15 per bottle, has just been launched in the US after an American distributor visiting Aspall sampled it, liked it and wrote about it on Facebook.
Orders have subsequently followed for the product, which takes its name from Aspall's owners and brothers Henry and Barry Chevallier Guild.
Check just-drinks on Monday (30 November) for more on Aspall.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends