Blog: It's Aspall cider, but not as you know it
Chris Mercer | 27 November 2009
Our deputy editor Chris Mercer has just returned from a night at Aspall Cyder, where he discovered an intriguing new twist on the apple-based drink.
just-drinks "doesn't do" product recommendations as a general rule (goodness, we'd be snowed under). But, if we did, then a new concoction provisionally named Cuvee Chevallier would be high on the list.
The guys down at Aspall, after "messing around" in the cellars, have come up with what can best be described as Champagne cider - or rather, Champagne-style cider.
Cuvee Chevallier is double fermented, comes in Champagne-style bottles, and - at a glance - looks like a sparkling wine.
On the nose and in the taste it is clearly not a wine, but it is a very good product and an interesting twist on the cider theme.
Cuvee Chevallier, at an abv of 11.5% and priced at around US$15 per bottle, has just been launched in the US after an American distributor visiting Aspall sampled it, liked it and wrote about it on Facebook.
Orders have subsequently followed for the product, which takes its name from Aspall's owners and brothers Henry and Barry Chevallier Guild.
Check just-drinks on Monday (30 November) for more on Aspall.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends