Blog: It's a tangled whisky web we weave
Olly Wehring | 5 December 2007
just-drinks aside, few websites can have really harnessed the potential of the internet as the plethora of social networking sites out there have done. Myspace, Facebook and their ilk have exploded in popularity round the world - myspace has 10m users here in the UK alone, for example.
Business, of course, has been desperately trying to leverage this huge audience and a number of sites have now begun to spring up that try to connect those with shared commercial interests. My particular favourite is the news that the CIA is to open a communications tool for its staff, modelled on social networking sites. The project, known as A-Space, aims to improve the way that intelligence agents communicate.
There is nothing quite so clandestine yet in the drinks industry – though you can of course participate on just-drinks’ forums with anonymity. However, the launch this week of www.thewhiskychannel.com adds an interesting new player to the networking space.
There is little doubt these sorts of business tools look set to stay. Quite how effective they are will probably depend on the industries they spring from and the enthusiasm of the users to take advantage of the opportunities they offer. It seems to me that the whisky industry is ideally suited to make this particular site a success – it’s close-knit, full of passionate people and has a real gain to make by interacting with the consumer enthusiasts that will no doubt populate this website as well.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research