Blog: It's a Man Thing
Michelle Russell | 20 September 2010
On Tuesday afternoon I boarded a flight to attend Carlsberg's 'Capital Markets Day 2010' in Copenhagen.
While I had an idea of what to expect from the agenda, ie a discussion on the firm's European businesses, what I had no idea of was just how male dominated the beer industry really is.
The Jacobsen bar at Carlsberg's visitor centre was indeed filled with 120 male investors, analysts and a spattering of journalists. Only a handful of females were spotted in the crowd.
Nonetheless, the event was informative and just-drinks managed to pin down CEO Jørgen Buhl Rasmussen for a few words on the hurdles Carlsberg has faced in the last year and what opportunities lie ahead for the firm.
And as the conference closed for the day and the men and women of the industry headed for Copenhagen airport, we await the next update in Carlsberg's drive to become "the fastest growing global beer company".
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018