Blog: Is SABMiller's CEO a secret Frank Zappa fan?
James Wilmore | 21 February 2013
Does Graham Mackay, SABMiller's outgoing top man, have a secret penchant for the late American jazz-rock musician and producer Frank Zappa?
This may seem an odd question to pose. But, the reason I ask is that Mackay treated his (I'm guessing slightly bemused) audience at the CAGNY conference this week to some wisdom from the 60's avant-gardist.
At one point in his presentation, the CEO produced a slide with this Zappa-attributed quote: “You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.”
Mackay's point was that SABMiller aims to take a local approach in its overseas ventures.
As the slide appeared, Mackay said: “Of course we all feel deeply what the sage on the screen expressed.”
And then, with a wistful air, he added: “There was a man not troubled by self-doubt: You can tell by looking at his moustache.”
Perhaps, then, when Mackay finally hangs up his pinstripes, he'll spend his days nodding along to the likes of Freak Out! And Sheikh Yerbouti.
There's an image for you.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends