Blog: Is pisco preparing to make some noise?
Andy Morton | 19 February 2015
Chalvignac has been making copper pot stills since 1981
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne.
That's where the company's skilled craftsmen shape the giant sheets of copper into the beautiful swan-neck pot stills that find their way into the region's nearby Cognac distilleries, and increasingly those of spirits makers around the world.
Olivier Flamand, Chalvignac's marketing and communications head, gives a little laugh when asked if demand is good right now. “Very good,” he says, and lists orders from Russia, China and a number of other countries.
But, it is the US that is filling up Chalvignac's order book the most. And, it's not the country's whiskey, vodka or gin makers that are putting the smile on Olivier's face - he says highest demand is currently coming from US producers of the South American brandy pisco.
We've already had a Bourbon boom in the US; can we now expect the pisco explosion?
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Moet Hennessy's Glenmorangie Co has unveiled the oldest iteration of its namesake single malt Scotch whisky brand....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research