Blog: Is Permanis becoming a valuable target?
Michelle Russell | 8 July 2011
It seems that acquisition-busy Asahi Holdings may have a fight on its hands if it wants to secure its latest target, Permanis.
Kuala Lumpur-based CI Holdings confirmed yesterday (7 July) that an offer price made by Asahi Group Holdings for its subsidiary Permanis was too low. The company has not denied the possibility of selling Permanis, but said it is consistently on the lookout for opportunities to further optimise shareholder value.
And why not. Permanis is PepsiCo's bottler in Malaysia. In July last year, PepsiCo extended the rights of Permanis for manufacturing and selling its beverages in Malaysia to ten years until 30 June 2020. In their three years together, the firms have introduced three new PepsiCo brands, namely Tropicana Twister, 7-Up Revive and Mountain Dew, to the Malaysian market, all of which have been received well.
So, there is no reason why CI Holdings would not hold out for a decent price. And it's not like Asahi can't afford it. Despite making two purchases this week, the firm has an overseas M&A warchest valued at US$4.9bn.
But if Asahi is intent on making Permanis its third acquisition in one week, it may need to up its offer. CI Holdings clearly has a figure in mind and does not appear prepared to part with its subsidiary for just any sum.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts