Blog: Is Permanis becoming a valuable target?
Michelle Russell | 8 July 2011
It seems that acquisition-busy Asahi Holdings may have a fight on its hands if it wants to secure its latest target, Permanis.
Kuala Lumpur-based CI Holdings confirmed yesterday (7 July) that an offer price made by Asahi Group Holdings for its subsidiary Permanis was too low. The company has not denied the possibility of selling Permanis, but said it is consistently on the lookout for opportunities to further optimise shareholder value.
And why not. Permanis is PepsiCo's bottler in Malaysia. In July last year, PepsiCo extended the rights of Permanis for manufacturing and selling its beverages in Malaysia to ten years until 30 June 2020. In their three years together, the firms have introduced three new PepsiCo brands, namely Tropicana Twister, 7-Up Revive and Mountain Dew, to the Malaysian market, all of which have been received well.
So, there is no reason why CI Holdings would not hold out for a decent price. And it's not like Asahi can't afford it. Despite making two purchases this week, the firm has an overseas M&A warchest valued at US$4.9bn.
But if Asahi is intent on making Permanis its third acquisition in one week, it may need to up its offer. CI Holdings clearly has a figure in mind and does not appear prepared to part with its subsidiary for just any sum.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research