Blog: Is Hansen a tasty proposition for Coca-Cola?
Michelle Russell | 8 October 2010
Soft drinks firm Hansen Natural has again been touted as a potential takeover candidate, with The Coca-Cola Co heading the list of suitors.
However, Hansen's "aggressive drive" into Europe may have pushed up the premium any potential bidder such as Coca-Cola would need to pay to snare the firm, Reuters reported this week.
Analysts today (8 October) claimed Hansen Natural's Monster Energy is expected to grow faster than the energy drinks category in the US. No doubt a further reason why the US-based firm might be an attractive deal.
Hansen signed a distribution deal with Coca-Cola Enterprises at the end of 2009.
"To a company like Coke, Hansen is worth more on their platform than it is as an independent entity ... so they would probably be willing and able to pay a little bit more than what we think the stock is worth on its own," Morningstar analyst Philip Gorham said.
One to watch...
Hansen shares, valued at a little over $4bn, have gained almost two-thirds to $47 each since July 2009 - around 17 times forward earnings. For comparison, Coca-Cola trades at 15.7 times forward earnings and PepsiCo at 14.6 times, according to Reuters.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends