Blog: Is Hansen a tasty proposition for Coca-Cola?
Michelle Russell | 8 October 2010
Soft drinks firm Hansen Natural has again been touted as a potential takeover candidate, with The Coca-Cola Co heading the list of suitors.
However, Hansen's "aggressive drive" into Europe may have pushed up the premium any potential bidder such as Coca-Cola would need to pay to snare the firm, Reuters reported this week.
Analysts today (8 October) claimed Hansen Natural's Monster Energy is expected to grow faster than the energy drinks category in the US. No doubt a further reason why the US-based firm might be an attractive deal.
Hansen signed a distribution deal with Coca-Cola Enterprises at the end of 2009.
"To a company like Coke, Hansen is worth more on their platform than it is as an independent entity ... so they would probably be willing and able to pay a little bit more than what we think the stock is worth on its own," Morningstar analyst Philip Gorham said.
One to watch...
Hansen shares, valued at a little over $4bn, have gained almost two-thirds to $47 each since July 2009 - around 17 times forward earnings. For comparison, Coca-Cola trades at 15.7 times forward earnings and PepsiCo at 14.6 times, according to Reuters.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends