Blog: Is Hansen a tasty proposition for Coca-Cola?
Michelle Russell | 8 October 2010
Soft drinks firm Hansen Natural has again been touted as a potential takeover candidate, with The Coca-Cola Co heading the list of suitors.
However, Hansen's "aggressive drive" into Europe may have pushed up the premium any potential bidder such as Coca-Cola would need to pay to snare the firm, Reuters reported this week.
Analysts today (8 October) claimed Hansen Natural's Monster Energy is expected to grow faster than the energy drinks category in the US. No doubt a further reason why the US-based firm might be an attractive deal.
Hansen signed a distribution deal with Coca-Cola Enterprises at the end of 2009.
"To a company like Coke, Hansen is worth more on their platform than it is as an independent entity ... so they would probably be willing and able to pay a little bit more than what we think the stock is worth on its own," Morningstar analyst Philip Gorham said.
One to watch...
Hansen shares, valued at a little over $4bn, have gained almost two-thirds to $47 each since July 2009 - around 17 times forward earnings. For comparison, Coca-Cola trades at 15.7 times forward earnings and PepsiCo at 14.6 times, according to Reuters.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends