Blog: Is Diageo looking to sell Guinness? What about now? Now? Now?
Olly Wehring | 12 January 2011
Okay, okay. We all know that January is traditionally a pretty quiet month in the drinks industry. It must be all that counting of money that's keeping you folks out of mischief.
But, must we really resort to dredging up stale old rumours to stoke the fires of speculation? Reports out of South Africa today (12 January) have suggested that Diageo is mulling the sale of Guinness yet again - this time, SABMiller is the grateful recipient of the beer brand.
Time was, not so long ago, that Paul Walsh had to field the 'are you looking to sell off Guinness' question at every half-year results conference.
Last month's announcement by Diageo that it has created a global beer category unit should really head off speculation like this at the pass.
I guess the quiet of January encourages the mind to wander.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
The Coca-Cola Co's Keurig Cold machine won't be out until next year. But co-developer Keurig Green Mountain has given us a taste with the unveiling this weekend of another at-home beverage platform, t...
It's a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday (25 August). just-drinks' team will be taking a well-earned lie down. ...
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change. ...
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- CCA - Coca-Cola's Canary in the Mine
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- Champagne will not regain lost ground until 2018