Blog: Is Diageo looking to sell Guinness? What about now? Now? Now?
Olly Wehring | 12 January 2011
Okay, okay. We all know that January is traditionally a pretty quiet month in the drinks industry. It must be all that counting of money that's keeping you folks out of mischief.
But, must we really resort to dredging up stale old rumours to stoke the fires of speculation? Reports out of South Africa today (12 January) have suggested that Diageo is mulling the sale of Guinness yet again - this time, SABMiller is the grateful recipient of the beer brand.
Time was, not so long ago, that Paul Walsh had to field the 'are you looking to sell off Guinness' question at every half-year results conference.
Last month's announcement by Diageo that it has created a global beer category unit should really head off speculation like this at the pass.
I guess the quiet of January encourages the mind to wander.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk