Blog: Is Ashes fever getting to the Aussies?
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2006
Interesting to see the Australians squabbling among themselves ahead of next month’s Ashes series.
Alas, it’s not Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath bickering over who should bowl from which end, but the country’s two biggest brewers arguing over so-called “ambush marketing” surrounding the Ashes, world cricket’s longest and deepest rivalry.
Last week, Foster’s Group, which is a major sponsor of the national association Cricket Australia, accused arch-rival Lion Nathan of “ambush marketing” with its own sponsorship of a nationwide beach cricket tournament.
A Foster’s executive even went as far as labelling Lion’s behaviour as “un-Australian”.
Both Foster’s and Lion have tried to downplay the row. A Foster’s spokesman told just-drinks the spat was “a storm in a teacup” while his counterpart at Lion said he didn’t want to “fuel the issue further” by commenting.
Leaving aside the unlikelihood of Australian beer drinkers confusing beach cricket with the Ashes and Foster’s apparent over-sensitivity on the issue, as unashamed Englishmen we at just-drinks have allowed ourselves a wry smile at the bickering between our Australian cousins. Not because we see it as a sign of Australian nerves ahead of the English holders of the Ashes defending the little urn Down Under, but because, deep down, we’re a tad worried the Aussies are going to win it back.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US