Blog: Is Ashes fever getting to the Aussies?
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2006
Interesting to see the Australians squabbling among themselves ahead of next month’s Ashes series.
Alas, it’s not Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath bickering over who should bowl from which end, but the country’s two biggest brewers arguing over so-called “ambush marketing” surrounding the Ashes, world cricket’s longest and deepest rivalry.
Last week, Foster’s Group, which is a major sponsor of the national association Cricket Australia, accused arch-rival Lion Nathan of “ambush marketing” with its own sponsorship of a nationwide beach cricket tournament.
A Foster’s executive even went as far as labelling Lion’s behaviour as “un-Australian”.
Both Foster’s and Lion have tried to downplay the row. A Foster’s spokesman told just-drinks the spat was “a storm in a teacup” while his counterpart at Lion said he didn’t want to “fuel the issue further” by commenting.
Leaving aside the unlikelihood of Australian beer drinkers confusing beach cricket with the Ashes and Foster’s apparent over-sensitivity on the issue, as unashamed Englishmen we at just-drinks have allowed ourselves a wry smile at the bickering between our Australian cousins. Not because we see it as a sign of Australian nerves ahead of the English holders of the Ashes defending the little urn Down Under, but because, deep down, we’re a tad worried the Aussies are going to win it back.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets