Blog: Is Ashes fever getting to the Aussies?
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2006
Interesting to see the Australians squabbling among themselves ahead of next month’s Ashes series.
Alas, it’s not Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath bickering over who should bowl from which end, but the country’s two biggest brewers arguing over so-called “ambush marketing” surrounding the Ashes, world cricket’s longest and deepest rivalry.
Last week, Foster’s Group, which is a major sponsor of the national association Cricket Australia, accused arch-rival Lion Nathan of “ambush marketing” with its own sponsorship of a nationwide beach cricket tournament.
A Foster’s executive even went as far as labelling Lion’s behaviour as “un-Australian”.
Both Foster’s and Lion have tried to downplay the row. A Foster’s spokesman told just-drinks the spat was “a storm in a teacup” while his counterpart at Lion said he didn’t want to “fuel the issue further” by commenting.
Leaving aside the unlikelihood of Australian beer drinkers confusing beach cricket with the Ashes and Foster’s apparent over-sensitivity on the issue, as unashamed Englishmen we at just-drinks have allowed ourselves a wry smile at the bickering between our Australian cousins. Not because we see it as a sign of Australian nerves ahead of the English holders of the Ashes defending the little urn Down Under, but because, deep down, we’re a tad worried the Aussies are going to win it back.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research