Blog: Iron Maiden rocked by Sweden's alcohol rules
James Wilmore | 14 May 2013
When you're one of the most successful heavy metal bands in history, with nearly 9m Facebook fans, you can probably cope with the odd setback.
Last week, Iron Maiden launched their own ale - Trooper - brewed by Cheshire-based family brewer Robinsons. According to beer writer Marverine Cole, the brewery has secured pre-orders from a whopping 184 countries, while Robinsons has been forced to move to a six-day week to meet demand.
But, the brew (4.8% abv in cask, 4.7% in bottled format) has hit a stumbling block in Sweden. The country's state-run liquor store monopoly, Systembolaget, has aborted the launch of Trooper in its outlets over fears the skull and crossbones on the label does not adhere to the country's alcohol laws, it has been reported.
Will the private-jet travelling hellraisers be forced to change the label? Or, will they abandon selling the beer in Sweden?
Strangely, I don't remember this kind of kerfuffle when indie epic-balladeers Elbow launched their beer, Build a Rocket Boys, with Robinsons in 2011.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk