Blog: International Brewing Convention - Day 1
Olly Wehring | 2 October 2007
just-drinks is live from the International Brewing Convention this week.
Amazingly, this is the first brewing convention to be held in the UK for ten years. Fittingly, its being held in Manchester, which itself has a proud brewing tradition. The ICC is a great venue too - rather like the beer industry, it’s an interesting mix of the old and the new.
Organisers tell me that pessimism about the industry was in part to blame for the absence of such a convention in the UK for a decade. But there is genuinely a feeling that the beer market is operating in a new era now. The focus of the three days has been on manufacturing and the supply chain, and what has been clear from the speakers is that this is an industry facing rapid change. Beer is now an FMCG product with an emphasis on the F for fast. And, if you are going to be customer responsive, the normal rules of how you approach production and logistics are changing as fast as in sales and marketing.
Elsewhere at the convention, some similar themes that just-drinks and its sister site just-food have come across this year at other category events have emerged. Pressure from raw material costs, particularly form the growth in biofuels, rang out loud as the balance between supply and demand of malt emerged as a key talking point.
We are here for another 24 hours, so please get in touch if you would like to meet up. If you aren't here, stay posted for more tomorrow.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends