Blog: Ing-ger-lund - Oh well, let's have a beer anyway
Chris Brook-Carter | 15 June 2004
Sunday’s English disappointment against France in Euro 2004 left at least one group of Brits with a smile on the face – and no, we don’t mean the Scottish.
Supermarkets in England sold around 20m pints of beer in the run-up to the big game, with Tesco selling 2m cases of beer in the week leading up to the game and 700,000 at the weekend alone. Asda registered record sales, and stocked up on an extra 1.5m cases of beer.
Scotland and Wales toasted their sense of schadenfreude – neither country qualified for the tournament – by pushing their beer sales upward for the weekend as well.
Your lowly scribe can certainly sympathise with other England fans at their desire to drown their sorrows, but chances are sales will continue to rise as England progresses to the final on 4 July.
Any takers for that bet?
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends