Blog: Ing-ger-lund - Oh well, let's have a beer anyway
Chris Brook-Carter | 15 June 2004
Sunday’s English disappointment against France in Euro 2004 left at least one group of Brits with a smile on the face – and no, we don’t mean the Scottish.
Supermarkets in England sold around 20m pints of beer in the run-up to the big game, with Tesco selling 2m cases of beer in the week leading up to the game and 700,000 at the weekend alone. Asda registered record sales, and stocked up on an extra 1.5m cases of beer.
Scotland and Wales toasted their sense of schadenfreude – neither country qualified for the tournament – by pushing their beer sales upward for the weekend as well.
Your lowly scribe can certainly sympathise with other England fans at their desire to drown their sorrows, but chances are sales will continue to rise as England progresses to the final on 4 July.
Any takers for that bet?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends