Blog: Industry hits the ground running in 2010
Chris Mercer | 15 January 2010
Brewery blockades, Heineken's deal for FEMSA, alcohol strategy meetings and a trading update from Pernod Ricard - 2010 has started apace.
Just when we thought January's silent news agenda might require us to concoct some nefarious rumour within our good trade, this week has got 2010 off to a running start.
Heineken surprised us and many others by so swiftly securing a deal for FEMSA.
To be honest, we're a little disappointed with the efficiency and amicable nature of the whole thing. No bidding battle, rumours of family tussles or public war of words, just a reasonably straightforward deal at a price everyone agrees is reasonable. Where's the fun in that?
Still, we've seen a little more drama over at A-B InBev in the last week. After announcing job cuts across Western Europe, the brewer has seen workers in Belgium take managers hostage and is now facing blockades at its two breweries in the country.
We've also had an update from world's second largest wine and spirits producer , Pernod Ricard. Sales are picking up and the Chinese are lapping up Martell stocks, but the US spirits market remains a cause for concern.
Next week could also be eventful. The World Health Organisation is set to meet to discuss its draft alcohol strategy. A current draft includes a lot of proposals on pricing and is likely to make some waves in the sector.
Wishing you a good weekend.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits