Blog: Industry challenges 'Fed Up' facts
James Wilmore | 23 May 2014
A new documentary attacking the US food, drinks and sugar industry has been causing waves since its release earlier this month.
'Fed Up', executive produced by Oscar winner Laurie David and directed by Stephanie Soechtig, appears to lay the blame for the country's obesity crisis, particularly among children, at the feet of food and drinks producers and 'Big Sugar'. It's billed as "the film the food industry doesn't want you to see".
The powerful trailer for the documentary, narrated by TV journalist Katie Couric, can be viewed above.
However, the US food and drinks industry has been fighting back. A website put together by the Grocery Manufacturers Association, mimicking the film's official website, invites users to take a quiz, challenging some of the "facts" presented in 'Fed Up'.
But some observers have suggested the film will do for childhood obesity what 'An Inconvenient Truth' did for climate change.
'Fewer floods and droughts for healthy kids' - that sounds like a reasonable political mantra.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Britvic's CEO has defended a decision to axe Robinsons' full-sugar range after full-year results showed a fall in sales for the brand....
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
Britvic has lined up new launches for next year, including a Purdy's overhaul, as the soft drinks maker battles a weak UK consumer backdrop....
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015