Blog: Industry challenges 'Fed Up' facts
James Wilmore | 23 May 2014
A new documentary attacking the US food, drinks and sugar industry has been causing waves since its release earlier this month.
'Fed Up', executive produced by Oscar winner Laurie David and directed by Stephanie Soechtig, appears to lay the blame for the country's obesity crisis, particularly among children, at the feet of food and drinks producers and 'Big Sugar'. It's billed as "the film the food industry doesn't want you to see".
The powerful trailer for the documentary, narrated by TV journalist Katie Couric, can be viewed above.
However, the US food and drinks industry has been fighting back. A website put together by the Grocery Manufacturers Association, mimicking the film's official website, invites users to take a quiz, challenging some of the "facts" presented in 'Fed Up'.
But some observers have suggested the film will do for childhood obesity what 'An Inconvenient Truth' did for climate change.
'Fewer floods and droughts for healthy kids' - that sounds like a reasonable political mantra.
Sectors: Soft drinks
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
SHS Drinks has launched a range of new extensions for its Bottlegreen cordial brand....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Britvic has launched a limited-edition version of its J20 adult soft drinks brand, exclusively into the UK on-trade....
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review