Blog: Industry challenges 'Fed Up' facts
James Wilmore | 23 May 2014
A new documentary attacking the US food, drinks and sugar industry has been causing waves since its release earlier this month.
'Fed Up', executive produced by Oscar winner Laurie David and directed by Stephanie Soechtig, appears to lay the blame for the country's obesity crisis, particularly among children, at the feet of food and drinks producers and 'Big Sugar'. It's billed as "the film the food industry doesn't want you to see".
The powerful trailer for the documentary, narrated by TV journalist Katie Couric, can be viewed above.
However, the US food and drinks industry has been fighting back. A website put together by the Grocery Manufacturers Association, mimicking the film's official website, invites users to take a quiz, challenging some of the "facts" presented in 'Fed Up'.
But some observers have suggested the film will do for childhood obesity what 'An Inconvenient Truth' did for climate change.
'Fewer floods and droughts for healthy kids' - that sounds like a reasonable political mantra.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends