Blog: Industry challenges 'Fed Up' facts
James Wilmore | 23 May 2014
A new documentary attacking the US food, drinks and sugar industry has been causing waves since its release earlier this month.
'Fed Up', executive produced by Oscar winner Laurie David and directed by Stephanie Soechtig, appears to lay the blame for the country's obesity crisis, particularly among children, at the feet of food and drinks producers and 'Big Sugar'. It's billed as "the film the food industry doesn't want you to see".
The powerful trailer for the documentary, narrated by TV journalist Katie Couric, can be viewed above.
However, the US food and drinks industry has been fighting back. A website put together by the Grocery Manufacturers Association, mimicking the film's official website, invites users to take a quiz, challenging some of the "facts" presented in 'Fed Up'.
But some observers have suggested the film will do for childhood obesity what 'An Inconvenient Truth' did for climate change.
'Fewer floods and droughts for healthy kids' - that sounds like a reasonable political mantra.
Sectors: Soft drinks
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2014....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future