Blog: Industry challenges 'Fed Up' facts
James Wilmore | 23 May 2014
A new documentary attacking the US food, drinks and sugar industry has been causing waves since its release earlier this month.
'Fed Up', executive produced by Oscar winner Laurie David and directed by Stephanie Soechtig, appears to lay the blame for the country's obesity crisis, particularly among children, at the feet of food and drinks producers and 'Big Sugar'. It's billed as "the film the food industry doesn't want you to see".
The powerful trailer for the documentary, narrated by TV journalist Katie Couric, can be viewed above.
However, the US food and drinks industry has been fighting back. A website put together by the Grocery Manufacturers Association, mimicking the film's official website, invites users to take a quiz, challenging some of the "facts" presented in 'Fed Up'.
But some observers have suggested the film will do for childhood obesity what 'An Inconvenient Truth' did for climate change.
'Fewer floods and droughts for healthy kids' - that sounds like a reasonable political mantra.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Bebida Beverage Co has welcomed the removal of a ban on electronic trading of the company's stock....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
After yesterday's introduction to Chile, today was all about Concha y Toro – that's to be expected, seeing as they invited me here....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future