Blog: Indra Nooyi - a bare-footed hippie maybe, but don't call her company Pepsi
James Wilmore | 10 July 2014
I'd imagine the term "hippie" is rarely used in a positive way in business circles.
The image of a bearded, long-haired counter-culture figure is anathema to the staid, straight-laced nature of much of the corporate world.
But it seems these days, a surprising number of business leaders began life embracing what might be seen as the "hippie" culture.
Steve Jobs, the late co-founder of Apple who experimented with LSD in his younger days, is the obvious example. Richard Branson, who still sports long hair and a beard, is another.
One other addition to the list could well be PepsiCo's CEO Indra Nooyi. The soft drinks and snacks guru was described as a "hippie" last week, during an introduction for a Q&A for the Aspen Institiute in the US.
Nooyi appeared to accept this description, based on the fact she used to play guitar in a band and, according to host David Bradley, "has been spotted walking bare feet in the Pepsi(Co) offices".
However, despite her previous tendencies, Nooyi was quick to correct Bradley when he referred to the company she leads as just "Pepsi", instead of PepsiCo. No doubt, Nooyi is particularly sensitive on the issue, bearing in mind the on-going efforts of investor Nelson Peltz to split the group in two.
Whether her peace-loving attitude extends to Mr Peltz may be a matter of some debate.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Coca-Cola FEMSA has reported a rise in sales for 2016, with volumes dropping back in the period....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends