Blog: Independent sale - cast out preconceived ideas?
Olly Wehring | 13 December 2006
The Independent Liquor sale is a story we have been following in detail since the offset, so it was great late last night when we got the call - from our source close to the matter - allowing us to be first to the line with news of a done deal.
That a private equity consortium has come out on top may surprise some industry followers. These companies, by their nature, cannot extract the synergies that drinks groups can from acquisitions so are often unwilling to enter into expensive bidding wars.
That, from what we understand, was not the case here. It looks like the battle to gain control of Independent got too rich for the likes of Lion Nathan and Diageo, whilst a consortium of Pacific Equity Partners and CCMP held its nerve.
The other assumption about private equity firms - again often wrong - is that they are in the game for the short-term gain, looking to quickly cut costs and boost value before placing the business once again on the market.
But one quote I read this morning from Grant Saligari, an analyst at Commonwealth Securities in Sydney, shed a different light on Independent’s immediate future. “Independent will generate good cash flow and the bidders can take a long-term view of the business,” he said. “Private equity have more flexibility in how they finance the business, and we can expect them to start loading Independent with debt.”
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research