Blog: Independent sale - cast out preconceived ideas?
Olly Wehring | 13 December 2006
The Independent Liquor sale is a story we have been following in detail since the offset, so it was great late last night when we got the call - from our source close to the matter - allowing us to be first to the line with news of a done deal.
That a private equity consortium has come out on top may surprise some industry followers. These companies, by their nature, cannot extract the synergies that drinks groups can from acquisitions so are often unwilling to enter into expensive bidding wars.
That, from what we understand, was not the case here. It looks like the battle to gain control of Independent got too rich for the likes of Lion Nathan and Diageo, whilst a consortium of Pacific Equity Partners and CCMP held its nerve.
The other assumption about private equity firms - again often wrong - is that they are in the game for the short-term gain, looking to quickly cut costs and boost value before placing the business once again on the market.
But one quote I read this morning from Grant Saligari, an analyst at Commonwealth Securities in Sydney, shed a different light on Independent’s immediate future. “Independent will generate good cash flow and the bidders can take a long-term view of the business,” he said. “Private equity have more flexibility in how they finance the business, and we can expect them to start loading Independent with debt.”
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends