Blog: Independent sale - cast out preconceived ideas?
Olly Wehring | 13 December 2006
The Independent Liquor sale is a story we have been following in detail since the offset, so it was great late last night when we got the call - from our source close to the matter - allowing us to be first to the line with news of a done deal.
That a private equity consortium has come out on top may surprise some industry followers. These companies, by their nature, cannot extract the synergies that drinks groups can from acquisitions so are often unwilling to enter into expensive bidding wars.
That, from what we understand, was not the case here. It looks like the battle to gain control of Independent got too rich for the likes of Lion Nathan and Diageo, whilst a consortium of Pacific Equity Partners and CCMP held its nerve.
The other assumption about private equity firms - again often wrong - is that they are in the game for the short-term gain, looking to quickly cut costs and boost value before placing the business once again on the market.
But one quote I read this morning from Grant Saligari, an analyst at Commonwealth Securities in Sydney, shed a different light on Independent’s immediate future. “Independent will generate good cash flow and the bidders can take a long-term view of the business,” he said. “Private equity have more flexibility in how they finance the business, and we can expect them to start loading Independent with debt.”
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research