Blog: InBev UK, you cheeky little monkeys
Olly Wehring | 27 August 2008
If you saw this news piece from last week, you may have noticed that InBev is looking to bring the abv of its Stella Artois brand in the UK in line in both the on- and the off-trade.
The initial statement from InBev said that the company will "harmonise" Stella's abv across the board in the country, at 5.0%. A little digging led to the discovery that, in the on-trade, Stella is available at 5.1%, while in the off-trade, it's a slightly stronger 5.2%.
"By harmonising the abv, we are providing the consumer with clarity and this will allow consumers to enjoy a consistent strength lager at home or in the pub," said InBev UK's president, Stuart MacFarlane, at the time.
A little more digging revealed that, by lowering the abv, InBev can look forward to lower excise on Stella - for beer, it's GBP14.96 for every 1% of strength per 100 litres.
Those of you with half-decent memories, meanwhile, will remember this story from earlier this month, in which InBev said it was "reluctantly" having to raise the prices of its beers in the UK.
A call into InBev about the matter resulted in silence: "We do not discuss details of our production costs or commercial arrangements," MacFarlane told us.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends