Blog: InBev UK, you cheeky little monkeys
Olly Wehring | 27 August 2008
If you saw this news piece from last week, you may have noticed that InBev is looking to bring the abv of its Stella Artois brand in the UK in line in both the on- and the off-trade.
The initial statement from InBev said that the company will "harmonise" Stella's abv across the board in the country, at 5.0%. A little digging led to the discovery that, in the on-trade, Stella is available at 5.1%, while in the off-trade, it's a slightly stronger 5.2%.
"By harmonising the abv, we are providing the consumer with clarity and this will allow consumers to enjoy a consistent strength lager at home or in the pub," said InBev UK's president, Stuart MacFarlane, at the time.
A little more digging revealed that, by lowering the abv, InBev can look forward to lower excise on Stella - for beer, it's GBP14.96 for every 1% of strength per 100 litres.
Those of you with half-decent memories, meanwhile, will remember this story from earlier this month, in which InBev said it was "reluctantly" having to raise the prices of its beers in the UK.
A call into InBev about the matter resulted in silence: "We do not discuss details of our production costs or commercial arrangements," MacFarlane told us.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research