Blog: InBev - UK not OK?
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2008
The announcement today (19 February) of yet another change at the top for InBev’s UK & Ireland unit suggests the global brewer is none too happy with its performance in the region. The replacement of Richard Evans with Stuart MacFarlane as president is the second change at the helm in as many years.
Is this a personality thing? Or is the company demanding improvements yesterday? Word has it that it’s more likely to be the latter. One industry source earlier today described InBev to me as “running scared” in the region. Whether or not things are this extreme – this after all is still one of the world’s global powerhouses – things are far from rosy. And, the continuing changes at the top are doing nothing to ease this sort of specualtion.
In November, Inbev noted that its UK operations saw volumes drop in the third quarter by 8.3% year-on-year. To make matters worse, last month UK pub chain Young’s said it was dropping InBev’s Stella Artois beer brand from its outlets, as the beer “wasn’t premium enough”.
Although I never met Evans, I’m told he’s “a man of integrity”, whose tenure saw the unit “recently turn the corner”, the source told me. “InBev has neither the patience nor the wherewithal to deal with as tough a market as the UK,” I was also told.
Naturally, the brewer is keener to downplay any such suggestions – a spokesperson told me today only that Evans had left the company “by mutual consent”.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research