Blog: InBev - UK not OK?
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2008
The announcement today (19 February) of yet another change at the top for InBev’s UK & Ireland unit suggests the global brewer is none too happy with its performance in the region. The replacement of Richard Evans with Stuart MacFarlane as president is the second change at the helm in as many years.
Is this a personality thing? Or is the company demanding improvements yesterday? Word has it that it’s more likely to be the latter. One industry source earlier today described InBev to me as “running scared” in the region. Whether or not things are this extreme – this after all is still one of the world’s global powerhouses – things are far from rosy. And, the continuing changes at the top are doing nothing to ease this sort of specualtion.
In November, Inbev noted that its UK operations saw volumes drop in the third quarter by 8.3% year-on-year. To make matters worse, last month UK pub chain Young’s said it was dropping InBev’s Stella Artois beer brand from its outlets, as the beer “wasn’t premium enough”.
Although I never met Evans, I’m told he’s “a man of integrity”, whose tenure saw the unit “recently turn the corner”, the source told me. “InBev has neither the patience nor the wherewithal to deal with as tough a market as the UK,” I was also told.
Naturally, the brewer is keener to downplay any such suggestions – a spokesperson told me today only that Evans had left the company “by mutual consent”.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends