Blog: If Carlsberg ran cinemas...
Chris Mercer | 9 November 2010
Sometimes the old-fashioned methods are the best, as Carlsberg knows only too well judging by its exploits in the UK last week.
The brewer recruited model and television presenter Kelly Brook to hand out free lagers at a London cinema. Naturally, Brook was kitted out in a tiny red jumpsuit, complete with heels - proving the success of that old formula: hot woman - clothes + product = happy consumer.
Perhaps the stunt was Carlsberg's little way of saying cheers to UK consumers. The country's beer market may have suffered its worst quarterly decline in at least 13 years in the three months to the end of September, but Carlsberg managed to eke out the slimmest of volume sales increases during the same period.
Carlsberg said today that its beer volumes in Northern and Western Europe rose by 1% on a like-for-like basis in the third quarter of 2010, driven by the UK and Poland. The brewer said that it increased market share figures for the UK, but it did not give specific sales figures for the country.
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- NPD: The Craft Cocktail Revolution
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Suntory Holdings to split beer, spirits division
- Quintessential Brands changes MD at Essential unit