Blog: If Carlsberg ran cinemas...
Chris Mercer | 9 November 2010
Sometimes the old-fashioned methods are the best, as Carlsberg knows only too well judging by its exploits in the UK last week.
The brewer recruited model and television presenter Kelly Brook to hand out free lagers at a London cinema. Naturally, Brook was kitted out in a tiny red jumpsuit, complete with heels - proving the success of that old formula: hot woman - clothes + product = happy consumer.
Perhaps the stunt was Carlsberg's little way of saying cheers to UK consumers. The country's beer market may have suffered its worst quarterly decline in at least 13 years in the three months to the end of September, but Carlsberg managed to eke out the slimmest of volume sales increases during the same period.
Carlsberg said today that its beer volumes in Northern and Western Europe rose by 1% on a like-for-like basis in the third quarter of 2010, driven by the UK and Poland. The brewer said that it increased market share figures for the UK, but it did not give specific sales figures for the country.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research