Blog: If Carlsberg ran cinemas...
Chris Mercer | 9 November 2010
Sometimes the old-fashioned methods are the best, as Carlsberg knows only too well judging by its exploits in the UK last week.
The brewer recruited model and television presenter Kelly Brook to hand out free lagers at a London cinema. Naturally, Brook was kitted out in a tiny red jumpsuit, complete with heels - proving the success of that old formula: hot woman - clothes + product = happy consumer.
Perhaps the stunt was Carlsberg's little way of saying cheers to UK consumers. The country's beer market may have suffered its worst quarterly decline in at least 13 years in the three months to the end of September, but Carlsberg managed to eke out the slimmest of volume sales increases during the same period.
Carlsberg said today that its beer volumes in Northern and Western Europe rose by 1% on a like-for-like basis in the third quarter of 2010, driven by the UK and Poland. The brewer said that it increased market share figures for the UK, but it did not give specific sales figures for the country.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends