Blog: If Carlsberg ran cinemas...
Chris Mercer | 9 November 2010
Sometimes the old-fashioned methods are the best, as Carlsberg knows only too well judging by its exploits in the UK last week.
The brewer recruited model and television presenter Kelly Brook to hand out free lagers at a London cinema. Naturally, Brook was kitted out in a tiny red jumpsuit, complete with heels - proving the success of that old formula: hot woman - clothes + product = happy consumer.
Perhaps the stunt was Carlsberg's little way of saying cheers to UK consumers. The country's beer market may have suffered its worst quarterly decline in at least 13 years in the three months to the end of September, but Carlsberg managed to eke out the slimmest of volume sales increases during the same period.
Carlsberg said today that its beer volumes in Northern and Western Europe rose by 1% on a like-for-like basis in the third quarter of 2010, driven by the UK and Poland. The brewer said that it increased market share figures for the UK, but it did not give specific sales figures for the country.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Focus - Pernod Ricard's Q1 sales by brand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- Smirnoff Ice gets India launch