Blog: Icy relations
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 August 2004
Newfoundland's Iceberg Vodka Corp – whose base ingredient is water harvested from icebergs - has angered operators who take tourists iceberg spotting. The barrage of gunshots or chainsaws has apparently shocked many tourists as harvesters break icebergs apart from barges and tugboats.
Visitors from around the globe pay to see icebergs up close, and are somewhat horrified to see them pulverised to make vodka.
Although duly licensed, harvesters will now avoid tourists to defuse conflicts between the growing vodka industry and tourism in a region devastated by the demise of the northern cod fishery.
Iceberg Vodka produced CDN$30m worth of vodka last year, and is licensed to harvest up to 500,000 tonnes of iceberg annually, equal to one iceberg. The bergs – quite wonderfully called ‘growlers’ – break off from larger ones and are gathered along Newfoundland’s coast while drifting south from the Arctic through the North Atlantic.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets