Blog: Icy relations
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 August 2004
Newfoundland's Iceberg Vodka Corp – whose base ingredient is water harvested from icebergs - has angered operators who take tourists iceberg spotting. The barrage of gunshots or chainsaws has apparently shocked many tourists as harvesters break icebergs apart from barges and tugboats.
Visitors from around the globe pay to see icebergs up close, and are somewhat horrified to see them pulverised to make vodka.
Although duly licensed, harvesters will now avoid tourists to defuse conflicts between the growing vodka industry and tourism in a region devastated by the demise of the northern cod fishery.
Iceberg Vodka produced CDN$30m worth of vodka last year, and is licensed to harvest up to 500,000 tonnes of iceberg annually, equal to one iceberg. The bergs – quite wonderfully called ‘growlers’ – break off from larger ones and are gathered along Newfoundland’s coast while drifting south from the Arctic through the North Atlantic.
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
After yesterday's introduction to Chile, today was all about Concha y Toro – that's to be expected, seeing as they invited me here....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets