Blog: Icy relations
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 August 2004
Newfoundland's Iceberg Vodka Corp – whose base ingredient is water harvested from icebergs - has angered operators who take tourists iceberg spotting. The barrage of gunshots or chainsaws has apparently shocked many tourists as harvesters break icebergs apart from barges and tugboats.
Visitors from around the globe pay to see icebergs up close, and are somewhat horrified to see them pulverised to make vodka.
Although duly licensed, harvesters will now avoid tourists to defuse conflicts between the growing vodka industry and tourism in a region devastated by the demise of the northern cod fishery.
Iceberg Vodka produced CDN$30m worth of vodka last year, and is licensed to harvest up to 500,000 tonnes of iceberg annually, equal to one iceberg. The bergs – quite wonderfully called ‘growlers’ – break off from larger ones and are gathered along Newfoundland’s coast while drifting south from the Arctic through the North Atlantic.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research