Blog: Icy relations
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 August 2004
Newfoundland's Iceberg Vodka Corp – whose base ingredient is water harvested from icebergs - has angered operators who take tourists iceberg spotting. The barrage of gunshots or chainsaws has apparently shocked many tourists as harvesters break icebergs apart from barges and tugboats.
Visitors from around the globe pay to see icebergs up close, and are somewhat horrified to see them pulverised to make vodka.
Although duly licensed, harvesters will now avoid tourists to defuse conflicts between the growing vodka industry and tourism in a region devastated by the demise of the northern cod fishery.
Iceberg Vodka produced CDN$30m worth of vodka last year, and is licensed to harvest up to 500,000 tonnes of iceberg annually, equal to one iceberg. The bergs – quite wonderfully called ‘growlers’ – break off from larger ones and are gathered along Newfoundland’s coast while drifting south from the Arctic through the North Atlantic.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Brewers v Distillers in Nutrition Control Battle
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly