Blog: I got 99 beers. Oh, no, hang on
James Wilmore | 3 September 2014
Often there's no guessing when a marketing prank will hit the spot and when it won't.
But Texas craft brewer Austin Beerworks appears to have hit the jackpot with its latest wease. Last week, the company launched '99 Packs' for its new Peacemaker Anytime Ale. The seven-foot long boxes contain a whopping 99 cans of the beer.
Only 20 boxes were released and quickly sold out on the first day. In fact, frustrated fans on Twitter hit out at not being able to get hold of the super-size packs.
"Today was a crazy day," Austin Beerworks admitted on its Facebook page. But for those that missed out, it had to apologise. "You're also free to yell at us and call us dirty names," the post said.
One fan was impressed though, commenting: "Brilliant marketing, just brilliant."
The brewer has announced more will be available from tomorrow. And to avoid any confusion, Beerworks said: "This time, we're going to post in advance who's getting them and how they plan to sell them."
On your marks, get set...
Sectors: Beer & cider
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Molson Coor's Cornwall-based Sharp's Brewery has launched a limited release beer to help raise money to support sustainable beaches in Cornwall and across the UK....
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review