Blog: I got 99 beers. Oh, no, hang on
James Wilmore | 3 September 2014
Often there's no guessing when a marketing prank will hit the spot and when it won't.
But Texas craft brewer Austin Beerworks appears to have hit the jackpot with its latest wease. Last week, the company launched '99 Packs' for its new Peacemaker Anytime Ale. The seven-foot long boxes contain a whopping 99 cans of the beer.
Only 20 boxes were released and quickly sold out on the first day. In fact, frustrated fans on Twitter hit out at not being able to get hold of the super-size packs.
"Today was a crazy day," Austin Beerworks admitted on its Facebook page. But for those that missed out, it had to apologise. "You're also free to yell at us and call us dirty names," the post said.
One fan was impressed though, commenting: "Brilliant marketing, just brilliant."
The brewer has announced more will be available from tomorrow. And to avoid any confusion, Beerworks said: "This time, we're going to post in advance who's getting them and how they plan to sell them."
On your marks, get set...
Sectors: Beer & cider
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
Here, Euromonitor considers what we can expect in the beer segment in the year ahead....
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research