Blog: I got 99 beers. Oh, no, hang on
James Wilmore | 3 September 2014
Often there's no guessing when a marketing prank will hit the spot and when it won't.
But Texas craft brewer Austin Beerworks appears to have hit the jackpot with its latest wease. Last week, the company launched '99 Packs' for its new Peacemaker Anytime Ale. The seven-foot long boxes contain a whopping 99 cans of the beer.
Only 20 boxes were released and quickly sold out on the first day. In fact, frustrated fans on Twitter hit out at not being able to get hold of the super-size packs.
"Today was a crazy day," Austin Beerworks admitted on its Facebook page. But for those that missed out, it had to apologise. "You're also free to yell at us and call us dirty names," the post said.
One fan was impressed though, commenting: "Brilliant marketing, just brilliant."
The brewer has announced more will be available from tomorrow. And to avoid any confusion, Beerworks said: "This time, we're going to post in advance who's getting them and how they plan to sell them."
On your marks, get set...
Sectors: Beer & cider
It's not like we weren't warned. After all, it was only two weeks ago that SABMiller's CEO lauded the potential for soft drinks in emerging markets....
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
Yesterday, SABMiller, The Coca-Cola Co and Gutsche Family Investments - the owner of Coca-Cola Sabco - announced their intention to combine their bottling operations in east and southern Africa. Here,...
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018