Blog: I got 99 beers. Oh, no, hang on
James Wilmore | 3 September 2014
Often there's no guessing when a marketing prank will hit the spot and when it won't.
But Texas craft brewer Austin Beerworks appears to have hit the jackpot with its latest wease. Last week, the company launched '99 Packs' for its new Peacemaker Anytime Ale. The seven-foot long boxes contain a whopping 99 cans of the beer.
Only 20 boxes were released and quickly sold out on the first day. In fact, frustrated fans on Twitter hit out at not being able to get hold of the super-size packs.
"Today was a crazy day," Austin Beerworks admitted on its Facebook page. But for those that missed out, it had to apologise. "You're also free to yell at us and call us dirty names," the post said.
One fan was impressed though, commenting: "Brilliant marketing, just brilliant."
The brewer has announced more will be available from tomorrow. And to avoid any confusion, Beerworks said: "This time, we're going to post in advance who's getting them and how they plan to sell them."
On your marks, get set...
Sectors: Beer & cider
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends