Blog: I got 99 beers. Oh, no, hang on
James Wilmore | 3 September 2014
Often there's no guessing when a marketing prank will hit the spot and when it won't.
But Texas craft brewer Austin Beerworks appears to have hit the jackpot with its latest wease. Last week, the company launched '99 Packs' for its new Peacemaker Anytime Ale. The seven-foot long boxes contain a whopping 99 cans of the beer.
Only 20 boxes were released and quickly sold out on the first day. In fact, frustrated fans on Twitter hit out at not being able to get hold of the super-size packs.
"Today was a crazy day," Austin Beerworks admitted on its Facebook page. But for those that missed out, it had to apologise. "You're also free to yell at us and call us dirty names," the post said.
One fan was impressed though, commenting: "Brilliant marketing, just brilliant."
The brewer has announced more will be available from tomorrow. And to avoid any confusion, Beerworks said: "This time, we're going to post in advance who's getting them and how they plan to sell them."
On your marks, get set...
Sectors: Beer & cider
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research