Blog: I don't actually like journalists...
Olly Wehring | 1 February 2007
It has to be the most frustrating part of a journalist’s job - coming up against a company press spokesperson who clearly neither likes journalists, nor much enjoys speaking to them.
I actually once had a corporate communications executive at one multinational tell me she didn’t even like journalists, which is always encouraging when someone in that position is meant to be the conduit of information between press and company.
In fact, it has definitely got worse over the last four years since I became a journalist. Now, I am not expecting anyone to divulge company secrets over the ‘phone, but people now seem scared to say anything, even when the questions are of a positive nature. And that fear seems to have led to a resentment that we journalists are calling for a comment in the first place.
I usually let these things slide. However, I am in an obtuse mood today, so let me share with you a conversation I had this week with the PR bod at one large company that illustrates this little rant rather well.
just-drinks: “Could you give me some more detail on why the company sees this acquisition as strong complement to its portfolio?”
PR guru: “I wouldn’t like to add to what our president has said.”
j-d: “What’s your view on why such products are growing in popularity?”
PR guru: “Just that it’s a growing category.”
A few more questions went the same way before our conversation ended.
I’m so glad to see the subtle arts of communication are still alive and well.
Here endeth the lesson.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends