Blog: I bet Diageo looks good on the dancefloor
Olly Wehring | 23 January 2007
You’ll forgive the slight fuzziness of our output today, I hope. Both myself and news editor, Dean Best, were invited along to a popular music concert in (London) town last night, and the tinnitus has got worse as the day has progressed.
Diageo’s Jamaican lager brand Red Stripe yesterday (22 January) launched ‘Bring It On Back’, a series of gigs to be held around the UK, championing new, up-and-coming bands in unique, intimate venues. For our delectation, we were offered The Rifles at The Shunt Vaults underneath London Bridge train station.
The sight of young Mr News Editor pogoing with the best of them in the moshpit to a tune whose chorus - not unironically - shouts “All I want is a little peace and quiet” was my highlight. And when it comes to music, both Dean and I will always be found down the front.
I must also applaud Diageo’s moves in this direction (although not without noting the role played by the brand’s UK brewer, Wells & Young’s) - the global drinks giant has a fairly staid reputation amongst the drinks bods. To see one of their brands trying something as fresh as this campaign is to be admired, I feel.
Could 2007 finally see Diageo taking its jacket off and ‘getting down with the kids’?
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China