Blog: I bet Diageo looks good on the dancefloor
Olly Wehring | 23 January 2007
You’ll forgive the slight fuzziness of our output today, I hope. Both myself and news editor, Dean Best, were invited along to a popular music concert in (London) town last night, and the tinnitus has got worse as the day has progressed.
Diageo’s Jamaican lager brand Red Stripe yesterday (22 January) launched ‘Bring It On Back’, a series of gigs to be held around the UK, championing new, up-and-coming bands in unique, intimate venues. For our delectation, we were offered The Rifles at The Shunt Vaults underneath London Bridge train station.
The sight of young Mr News Editor pogoing with the best of them in the moshpit to a tune whose chorus - not unironically - shouts “All I want is a little peace and quiet” was my highlight. And when it comes to music, both Dean and I will always be found down the front.
I must also applaud Diageo’s moves in this direction (although not without noting the role played by the brand’s UK brewer, Wells & Young’s) - the global drinks giant has a fairly staid reputation amongst the drinks bods. To see one of their brands trying something as fresh as this campaign is to be admired, I feel.
Could 2007 finally see Diageo taking its jacket off and ‘getting down with the kids’?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits