Blog: I bet Diageo looks good on the dancefloor
Olly Wehring | 23 January 2007
You’ll forgive the slight fuzziness of our output today, I hope. Both myself and news editor, Dean Best, were invited along to a popular music concert in (London) town last night, and the tinnitus has got worse as the day has progressed.
Diageo’s Jamaican lager brand Red Stripe yesterday (22 January) launched ‘Bring It On Back’, a series of gigs to be held around the UK, championing new, up-and-coming bands in unique, intimate venues. For our delectation, we were offered The Rifles at The Shunt Vaults underneath London Bridge train station.
The sight of young Mr News Editor pogoing with the best of them in the moshpit to a tune whose chorus - not unironically - shouts “All I want is a little peace and quiet” was my highlight. And when it comes to music, both Dean and I will always be found down the front.
I must also applaud Diageo’s moves in this direction (although not without noting the role played by the brand’s UK brewer, Wells & Young’s) - the global drinks giant has a fairly staid reputation amongst the drinks bods. To see one of their brands trying something as fresh as this campaign is to be admired, I feel.
Could 2007 finally see Diageo taking its jacket off and ‘getting down with the kids’?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research