Blog: How to understand the Euro crisis.... through beer
James Wilmore | 15 August 2012
Ever wanted to understand the Eurozone financial crisis... but in a (kind of) fun way?
Well, now you can thanks to some number boffins. Described by Business Insider as "the world's best economics website" FRED has charted the crisis by beer inflation. In a nutshell, the price of beer has mirrored each countries' economic fortunes. Germany has stayed sober, while Greece is off the scale, you get the idea...
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman