Blog: How to offend a nation without really trying
Olly Wehring | 14 July 2006
The landlady of a pub in the south-west of England has been the target of hate mail recently for upsetting the Welsh. Angie Sayer, of the New Inn in Wedmore, Somerset, has received letters and answerphone messages accusing her of racism.
Ms Sayer used a Welsh flag in a rather peculiar way when celebrating St George’s Day on 23 April. The English saint, of course, was famous for slaying a dragon, so Ms Sayer used the Welsh flag – which has a dragon on it – for locals to fire arrows at in the pub’s skittle alley.
“The whole incident has been blown out of proportion,” she told trade magazine the Publican. “We needed a dragon to shoot at and happened to use the flag.”
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research