Blog: How to offend a nation without really trying
Olly Wehring | 14 July 2006
The landlady of a pub in the south-west of England has been the target of hate mail recently for upsetting the Welsh. Angie Sayer, of the New Inn in Wedmore, Somerset, has received letters and answerphone messages accusing her of racism.
Ms Sayer used a Welsh flag in a rather peculiar way when celebrating St George’s Day on 23 April. The English saint, of course, was famous for slaying a dragon, so Ms Sayer used the Welsh flag – which has a dragon on it – for locals to fire arrows at in the pub’s skittle alley.
“The whole incident has been blown out of proportion,” she told trade magazine the Publican. “We needed a dragon to shoot at and happened to use the flag.”
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends