Blog: How many Prosecco brands can you name?
Andy Morton | 17 February 2016
At a media breakfast in London, Pernod Ricard CEO Alex Ricard gave an interesting response to a question he's no doubt asked a lot.
Is he worried about the threat of Prosecco to his company's Champagne brands?
Instead of replying, Ricard asked the inquiring journalist if she could name him three Prosecco brands. The journalist couldn't even manage one, so Ricard asked if she could name three Champagne brands - a far easier proposition.
His point, of course, is that while Prosecco may have the lion's share of growth in sparkling wine, it has yet to back that up with brands than consumers recognise - in the UK at least. To Ricard, who's company owns some of the world's most recognisable brands, that's a major failing - and the reason he doesn't lose much sleep over Prosecco's rise.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits