Blog: How many Prosecco brands can you name?
Andy Morton | 17 February 2016
At a media breakfast in London, Pernod Ricard CEO Alex Ricard gave an interesting response to a question he's no doubt asked a lot.
Is he worried about the threat of Prosecco to his company's Champagne brands?
Instead of replying, Ricard asked the inquiring journalist if she could name him three Prosecco brands. The journalist couldn't even manage one, so Ricard asked if she could name three Champagne brands - a far easier proposition.
His point, of course, is that while Prosecco may have the lion's share of growth in sparkling wine, it has yet to back that up with brands than consumers recognise - in the UK at least. To Ricard, who's company owns some of the world's most recognisable brands, that's a major failing - and the reason he doesn't lose much sleep over Prosecco's rise.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends