Blog: How a visit to the dentist helped Muthar Kent get ahead in business
Andy Morton | 26 June 2015
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking.
In an article in Forbes this week, the Coca-Cola Co CEO recounts the time he struck up a friendship with a dentist on a trip to Albania. It was 1989 and Albania was behind the Iron Curtain. But after their initial meeting, Kent kept in touch by sending the man Western magazine articles. The following year, the dentist - Salih Berisha - became the first elected president of Albania.
Kent continues: “Coca-Cola became the first foreign investment (in Albania), and in 1993 we opened the first modern Coca-Cola plant. President Berisha joined me for the ribbon cutting and today Coca-Cola supports over 2,000 jobs in this country.”
Worth remembering on your next trip to the dentist.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends