Blog: How a visit to the dentist helped Muthar Kent get ahead in business
Andy Morton | 26 June 2015
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking.
In an article in Forbes this week, the Coca-Cola Co CEO recounts the time he struck up a friendship with a dentist on a trip to Albania. It was 1989 and Albania was behind the Iron Curtain. But after their initial meeting, Kent kept in touch by sending the man Western magazine articles. The following year, the dentist - Salih Berisha - became the first elected president of Albania.
Kent continues: “Coca-Cola became the first foreign investment (in Albania), and in 1993 we opened the first modern Coca-Cola plant. President Berisha joined me for the ribbon cutting and today Coca-Cola supports over 2,000 jobs in this country.”
Worth remembering on your next trip to the dentist.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In achieving its goal to replenish water equivalent to its 2015 sales volumes "back to nature and communities", Coca-Cola gave itself a compelling sustainability story to tell consumers. Greg Koch, se...
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
In the US, carbonated water has become a non-alcoholic beverage star, as consumers choose sparkling waters and seltzers instead of carbonated soft drinks to cut calorie and sugar consumption. The same...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends