Blog: How a visit to the dentist helped Muthar Kent get ahead in business
Andy Morton | 26 June 2015
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking.
In an article in Forbes this week, the Coca-Cola Co CEO recounts the time he struck up a friendship with a dentist on a trip to Albania. It was 1989 and Albania was behind the Iron Curtain. But after their initial meeting, Kent kept in touch by sending the man Western magazine articles. The following year, the dentist - Salih Berisha - became the first elected president of Albania.
Kent continues: “Coca-Cola became the first foreign investment (in Albania), and in 1993 we opened the first modern Coca-Cola plant. President Berisha joined me for the ribbon cutting and today Coca-Cola supports over 2,000 jobs in this country.”
Worth remembering on your next trip to the dentist.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
It is ironic that one of the newest beverage ingredient trends is linked to one of the oldest ingredients in traditional south Asian medicine. Ashwagandha has been a prized ingredient in Ayurvedic med...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier today, The Coca-Cola Co reported its first-quarter results, with organic sales and volumes growth both flat in the period. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance by...
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World