Blog: Houston (hic), we have (hic) a problem
Olly Wehring | 30 November 2005
It’s all well and good boasting that the drink you’re holding after dinner has been holed up in, say, a Scottish warehouse for 10, 12 or 25 years. A group of Japanese brewers has gone just one small step further, however.
Sake brewers in the Japanese prefecture of Kochi have started preparing this year’s batch of sake rice wine with yeast that spent 10 days on the International Space Station, according to local reports this week.
Nihon Keizai Shimbun said yesterday (29 November) that the drink, known as ‘Space Sake,’ will be ready for global and domestic sales in April.
Ten test tubes of the yeast were launched on the Russian Soyuz rocket on 1 October at a price of JPY12m (US$1m) the Japanese business daily said.
An official for the sake brewers’ association of Kochi was quoted by the paper saying: “Sip it with dreams and romantic ideas in your mind, and you will get the taste of outer space.”
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends