Blog: Houston (hic), we have (hic) a problem
Olly Wehring | 30 November 2005
It’s all well and good boasting that the drink you’re holding after dinner has been holed up in, say, a Scottish warehouse for 10, 12 or 25 years. A group of Japanese brewers has gone just one small step further, however.
Sake brewers in the Japanese prefecture of Kochi have started preparing this year’s batch of sake rice wine with yeast that spent 10 days on the International Space Station, according to local reports this week.
Nihon Keizai Shimbun said yesterday (29 November) that the drink, known as ‘Space Sake,’ will be ready for global and domestic sales in April.
Ten test tubes of the yeast were launched on the Russian Soyuz rocket on 1 October at a price of JPY12m (US$1m) the Japanese business daily said.
An official for the sake brewers’ association of Kochi was quoted by the paper saying: “Sip it with dreams and romantic ideas in your mind, and you will get the taste of outer space.”
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers