Blog: Homebrewer's whirl with Vienna IPA pays off
James Wilmore | 28 August 2014
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously.
Waitrose has agreed to stock the winner of the Great British Home Brew Challenge, which was announced last week as 39 year-old Graham Nelson. Graham won't be forced to keep up with demand from this shed though. Highly-respected Derbyshire brewer Thornbridge has agreed to brew Graham's winning entry - Vienna IPA - from its premises. The 5.9% abv brew will be sold at around 60 Waitrose stores from October.
Kate Prall, Waitrose's beer buyer said: "We’ve been thrilled with the quality of the entries and are looking forward to seeing the reaction from our customers when the beer launches.”
Reporting on Nelson's win, The Guardian newspaper suggested that "homebrewers are giving many professional breweries a run for their money".
I'm sure the UK brewing community, being the friendly brethren it is, won't mind people giving it a go and don't see it as a genuine threat to their business. After all, homebrewing's popularity in the UK is generally cyclical, having last been popular in the 1970s.
And though Pete Hughes, chairman of the London Amateur Brewers, told The Guardian the best beer he ever tasted was made by somebody in their garage, he added: "That said, so was the worst."
Sectors: Beer & cider
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
Diageo has appointed Emma Walmsley as non-executive director, effective 1 January 2016. ...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The Canadian unit of Molson Coors has lined up the roll-out of its Blue Moon brand in the country, under the name Belgian Moon....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research