Blog: Highland Park's big night out
Chris Mercer | 1 October 2010
Edrington Group stands to make GBP2.75m (US$4.3m) if it can sell all 275 bottles of its new Highland Park 50 Year Old. just-drinks went along to see what all the fuss is about.
The high and mighty of whisky world were out in their gladrags in Harrods, London, last night to witness the launch of Highland Park 50. Wolf-whistles filled the air as global Highland Park brand controller Matthew Turner unveiled (literally, from under a silk cloth) the oldest whisky bottled at the Orkney-based distillery.
This whisky, unsurprisingly, has an intense flavour profile and the skill of craftmanship and hard labour that has gone into its solid silver bottle design is really impressive.
However, what I am left wondering - what I am often left wondering at such moments - is whether any alcoholic drink can really justify this kind of price tag. I mean this as no disrepect to Highland Park, but I'm just not sure.
In the end, I suppose, there are enough mega-rich in this world for it to be a case of 'if you build it, they will come'. And who can blame anyone for spotting an opportunity like that?
Still, it's a nonsensical world we live in. At the same time that Edrington Group was launching Highland Park 50 Year Old for GBP10,000 per bottle, the International Labour Organisation was delivering its dire assessment for employment prospects across much of the developed world over the next five years.
Recession is a strange business.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research