Blog: Hello from Romania - No Ursus? No comment
Olly Wehring | 26 September 2006
Greetings from stop two on our whirlwind tour of Central and Eastern Europe.
The observant of you may have guessed from yesterday’s top story that our first port of call on SABMiller’s whistle-stop tour of some of its facilities in the region was Hungary. A quick hop yesterday afternoon has brought us to Romania. Later today, we head to Poland. It’s not quite jetlag, but I'm pleasantly confused right now.
A marvellous dinner last night, involving flaming pots of Transylvanian goulash, a drop of Romanian rum, and a musical trio that piped us in and out (“Look, folks, the violinist is ON THE BUS!”), concluded - for those of us still standing - in a trawl of our home city for the day, for one last nightcap.
Imagine my hosts’ faces as, after taking in two different bars in this town (Cluj, located in the north-west of the country, 500km from Bucharest, and home to one of four breweries run by SABMiller’s Ursus subsidiary), we failed to find one stocking their own beer brands.
Good job our merry way was made at the end of a very long day - otherwise who knows? Mein hosts could have been a darn sight more annoyed than they actually were.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages