Blog: Hello from Romania - No Ursus? No comment
Olly Wehring | 26 September 2006
Greetings from stop two on our whirlwind tour of Central and Eastern Europe.
The observant of you may have guessed from yesterday’s top story that our first port of call on SABMiller’s whistle-stop tour of some of its facilities in the region was Hungary. A quick hop yesterday afternoon has brought us to Romania. Later today, we head to Poland. It’s not quite jetlag, but I'm pleasantly confused right now.
A marvellous dinner last night, involving flaming pots of Transylvanian goulash, a drop of Romanian rum, and a musical trio that piped us in and out (“Look, folks, the violinist is ON THE BUS!”), concluded - for those of us still standing - in a trawl of our home city for the day, for one last nightcap.
Imagine my hosts’ faces as, after taking in two different bars in this town (Cluj, located in the north-west of the country, 500km from Bucharest, and home to one of four breweries run by SABMiller’s Ursus subsidiary), we failed to find one stocking their own beer brands.
Good job our merry way was made at the end of a very long day - otherwise who knows? Mein hosts could have been a darn sight more annoyed than they actually were.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets