Blog: Hello from Romania - No Ursus? No comment
Olly Wehring | 26 September 2006
Greetings from stop two on our whirlwind tour of Central and Eastern Europe.
The observant of you may have guessed from yesterday’s top story that our first port of call on SABMiller’s whistle-stop tour of some of its facilities in the region was Hungary. A quick hop yesterday afternoon has brought us to Romania. Later today, we head to Poland. It’s not quite jetlag, but I'm pleasantly confused right now.
A marvellous dinner last night, involving flaming pots of Transylvanian goulash, a drop of Romanian rum, and a musical trio that piped us in and out (“Look, folks, the violinist is ON THE BUS!”), concluded - for those of us still standing - in a trawl of our home city for the day, for one last nightcap.
Imagine my hosts’ faces as, after taking in two different bars in this town (Cluj, located in the north-west of the country, 500km from Bucharest, and home to one of four breweries run by SABMiller’s Ursus subsidiary), we failed to find one stocking their own beer brands.
Good job our merry way was made at the end of a very long day - otherwise who knows? Mein hosts could have been a darn sight more annoyed than they actually were.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review