Blog: Hello from Romania - No Ursus? No comment
Olly Wehring | 26 September 2006
Greetings from stop two on our whirlwind tour of Central and Eastern Europe.
The observant of you may have guessed from yesterday’s top story that our first port of call on SABMiller’s whistle-stop tour of some of its facilities in the region was Hungary. A quick hop yesterday afternoon has brought us to Romania. Later today, we head to Poland. It’s not quite jetlag, but I'm pleasantly confused right now.
A marvellous dinner last night, involving flaming pots of Transylvanian goulash, a drop of Romanian rum, and a musical trio that piped us in and out (“Look, folks, the violinist is ON THE BUS!”), concluded - for those of us still standing - in a trawl of our home city for the day, for one last nightcap.
Imagine my hosts’ faces as, after taking in two different bars in this town (Cluj, located in the north-west of the country, 500km from Bucharest, and home to one of four breweries run by SABMiller’s Ursus subsidiary), we failed to find one stocking their own beer brands.
Good job our merry way was made at the end of a very long day - otherwise who knows? Mein hosts could have been a darn sight more annoyed than they actually were.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends