Blog: Hello from Romania - No Ursus? No comment
Olly Wehring | 26 September 2006
Greetings from stop two on our whirlwind tour of Central and Eastern Europe.
The observant of you may have guessed from yesterday’s top story that our first port of call on SABMiller’s whistle-stop tour of some of its facilities in the region was Hungary. A quick hop yesterday afternoon has brought us to Romania. Later today, we head to Poland. It’s not quite jetlag, but I'm pleasantly confused right now.
A marvellous dinner last night, involving flaming pots of Transylvanian goulash, a drop of Romanian rum, and a musical trio that piped us in and out (“Look, folks, the violinist is ON THE BUS!”), concluded - for those of us still standing - in a trawl of our home city for the day, for one last nightcap.
Imagine my hosts’ faces as, after taking in two different bars in this town (Cluj, located in the north-west of the country, 500km from Bucharest, and home to one of four breweries run by SABMiller’s Ursus subsidiary), we failed to find one stocking their own beer brands.
Good job our merry way was made at the end of a very long day - otherwise who knows? Mein hosts could have been a darn sight more annoyed than they actually were.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends