Blog: Heineken Settles Down for the Best Day of Sport Ever
Olly Wehring | 21 May 2010
It's Friday afternoon, and the weekend has almost landed.
I'll wager, however, that one drinks company is looking forward to this weekend a touch more than the rest of us.
Heineken is gearing itself up for an advertising perfect storm scenario tomorrow (22 May). For the first time, the finals of Europe's elite rugby and club football tournaments reach their respective climaxes on the same day.
The European evening of sporting green kicks off in Paris at 1800, when the two French teams of Biarritz and Toulouse fight it out for the rugby union Heineken Cup. Then, less than three hours later, the spotlight switches to Madrid where Bayern Munich take on Inter Milan for the football Champions League, of which Heineken is a major sponsor.
Days like this really must be a marketer's wet dream.
Shame the flight between Paris and Madrid cancels out attending one of the games, huh.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- William Grant and Drambuie: It Had to be You
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Scottish leader speaks out over Scotch whisky
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk