Blog: Heineken Settles Down for the Best Day of Sport Ever
Olly Wehring | 21 May 2010
It's Friday afternoon, and the weekend has almost landed.
I'll wager, however, that one drinks company is looking forward to this weekend a touch more than the rest of us.
Heineken is gearing itself up for an advertising perfect storm scenario tomorrow (22 May). For the first time, the finals of Europe's elite rugby and club football tournaments reach their respective climaxes on the same day.
The European evening of sporting green kicks off in Paris at 1800, when the two French teams of Biarritz and Toulouse fight it out for the rugby union Heineken Cup. Then, less than three hours later, the spotlight switches to Madrid where Bayern Munich take on Inter Milan for the football Champions League, of which Heineken is a major sponsor.
Days like this really must be a marketer's wet dream.
Shame the flight between Paris and Madrid cancels out attending one of the games, huh.
Here's a brave move by the folk from Camerata at Paulie's in Houston: a wine-related parody of Summer Nights from Grease....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
UK brewer Timothy Taylor is back in the headlines after winning 'Champion Beer of Britain' at the Great British Beer Festival (GBBF) today. ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Guinness, Campari, Vitaminwater and Treasury Wine Estates....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down