Blog: Heineken kicks off Brazil push
Chris Mercer | 18 February 2010
Heineken has wasted no time in using its connection with football to begin building presence in Brazil.
As just-drinks settled down to watch Arsenal's calamitous display against Porto last night, we noticed that the Netherlands-based brewer is offering fans the chance to watch the UEFA Champions League final from Brazil.
The final will take place in Madrid, but Heineken will take fans to Rio de Janeiro as part of its sponsorship of the tournament.
It is surely no coincidence that this competition has come about following Heineken's acquisition of FEMSA Cerveza.
Heineken is keen to use FEMSA's platform in Brazil to build the Heineken brand in what is the fourth largest beer market in the world. Brazil is also football 'maluco' and Heineken has already stated its plans to use football to "win" with Heineken in what is also A-B InBev's backyard.
To gain the chance to win tickets, fans are asked to test their rhythm in the first of three tests on Heineken's website. Guitar Hero players stand at a minor advantage, although one must question whether anyone unable to complete the task should be allowed to leave their house.
Chris Mercer, Deputy Editor
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends