Blog: Heineken in league with the Communists?
Chris Brook-Carter | 29 July 2005
You might get away with accusing the big brewers of this world of many heinous feats. Indeed, judging by some of the off-the-record comments we’re told, some of you often do. But abuse of communist imagery?
A Hungarian group has filed a complaint against Heineken over the red star the company uses on its labelling and advertising. The Financial Times reported yesterday (28 July) that the group wants the Dutch company to change the logo, as the display of symbols of tyranny in Hungary is banned.
“If the court cannot forbid the use of a logo containing a red star, then it will not be able to prohibit cookies with swastikas or teddy bears with an SS logo,” the group’s Gabor Dioslaki told the paper.
Heieneken has defended its logo, telling the FT: “The star was the symbol of brewers in the Middle Ages who believed it to have mystical power to protect the quality of the brew.”
So the Heineken star has been around since the Middle Ages? They should have sued Lenin.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research