Blog: Heineken in league with the Communists?
Chris Brook-Carter | 29 July 2005
You might get away with accusing the big brewers of this world of many heinous feats. Indeed, judging by some of the off-the-record comments we’re told, some of you often do. But abuse of communist imagery?
A Hungarian group has filed a complaint against Heineken over the red star the company uses on its labelling and advertising. The Financial Times reported yesterday (28 July) that the group wants the Dutch company to change the logo, as the display of symbols of tyranny in Hungary is banned.
“If the court cannot forbid the use of a logo containing a red star, then it will not be able to prohibit cookies with swastikas or teddy bears with an SS logo,” the group’s Gabor Dioslaki told the paper.
Heieneken has defended its logo, telling the FT: “The star was the symbol of brewers in the Middle Ages who believed it to have mystical power to protect the quality of the brew.”
So the Heineken star has been around since the Middle Ages? They should have sued Lenin.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review